Say “I love you!” this Valentine’s Day with these delectable rich Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes!
Hello. Melanie here from Garnish & Glaze. I’m so excited to be part of the Lil’ Luna team and share my delicious kitchen creations with you. First up, Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes!
Is there any better way to eat strawberries than covered in chocolate? I think not! It’s embarrassing to admit but 90% of the strawberries I eat are with chocolate, whipped cream, or both! These Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes are yet another way for me to eat more strawberries… and chocolate.
These cupcakes are divine! I used my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe for the base. It’s moist, chocolaty, and super easy. No mixer required!
On top of those yummy cupcakes is the most delicious strawberry frosting. The key ingredient is freeze dried strawberries. You can find them at Trader Joe’s or Amazon. I’ve used mashed berries in some frostings, like in my Raspberry Chocolate Cupcakes, but due to the amount of liquid, you can’t add much or it will get too thin. The freeze dried strawberries allow you to add lots of flavor without thinning it, as well as naturally creating a deeper color.
And then for that beautiful chocolate dipped strawberry– ganache. I really like using ganache on cupcakes, cake, cheesecake… It adds beauty and who doesn’t love more chocolate?! The great thing about ganache is that it holds its shape but doesn’t get hard. This is perfect for covering strawberries. Don’t you hate when you bite into a chocolate covered strawberry, the chocolate cracks, and half of it falls on the floor? I hate that! No more of that here! You also don’t have to wait for chocolate to harden and it still has that shiny melted chocolate look.
If you wanted to show someone a little love this Valentine’s Day, these Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes are the way to go!
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (1.2 ounce) package freeze dried strawberries
- 2½ to 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3 teaspoons heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- 4 ounces (about ⅔ cup) semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 15 strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with 15 cupcake liners.
- Mix flour, sugars, baking soda, and salt together and set aside.
- Place butter, chocolate, and cocoa together in a bowl and pour boiling water on top. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit two minutes. Mix until smooth and then add in the buttermilk, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla.
- Whisk the liquid ingredients into the dry until smooth.
- Pour ¼ cup batter into each paper liner. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Leave cupcakes in tin for 5 minutes before removing onto a cooling rack.
- Place freeze dried berries in the blender and puree until a fine powder. Sift into a bowl to remove large pieces that didn't get blended.
- Cream butter, cream cheese, and strawberry powder in an electric mixer until smooth. Mix in the powdered sugar a little at a time. Add vanilla and then the milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired thickness.
- Place chocolate in a bowl and pour hot whipping cream on top. Cover and let it sit for two minutes and then stir until smooth. Let the ganache cool for about 5 minutes before dipping strawberries.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, pipe on the frosting. Dip strawberries in the ganache and immediately press into the frosted cupcake.
- Serve within 2 hours or store in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperate for serving.
These look SO yummy! I’m dying to try the chocolate ganache on the strawberries!
Thanks for sharing this recipe with us Melanie!!
For more amazing creations by her, visit her over at Garnish & Glaze.
And for more Valentine’s treats, you can check out these:
For all Valentine Ideas on the site go HERE.
For all dessert recipes go HERE.