Christmas cookie bars are chewy and delicious. The M&Ms add a festive pop, making them perfect for any party!
This Christmas bar recipe is tasty, festive and just right for the holidays. For more yummy treats try Frosted Holiday Mint M&M Cookies, Easy Brownie Christmas Trees, or Christmas Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Very Merry Cookie Bars
These cookies bars are ooey and chewy goodness. The best part is they are super easy to make and do not require much prep time at all. They make a tasty and quick treat to whip together for a last minute holiday party or for surprise visitors!
I love that you can make these super festive by changing up the M&Ms, that’s also a great way to boost the flavor profile! I love to try mint M&Ms for a little bit of extra yum.
My girls like to whip these up themselves because the are seriously so easy! Then we get the vanilla ice cream out and eat a big scoop with these warm and merry cookie bars.
Making Christmas Cookie Bars
PREP. Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×9 baking pan.
DOUGH. In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter. In a mixing bowl add the melted butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix well. Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well and pour into the 9×9 pan.
SPRINKLE & BAKE. Evenly sprinkle the M&Ms and chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Variations: From doubling the recipe to what you put on top, this recipe is easy to adjust to whatever you desire:
- Doubling: Simply double the ingredients and bake the bars in a larger pan. For thicker bars use a 9×13 pan. For thinner bars use an 11×16 pan. Bake at 350°F for a few extra minutes than stated in the recipe.
- Toppings: Using red, white and green M&Ms was an easy way to turn these cookies into a festive treat. Some other festive toppings include christmas sprinkles and christmas colored frosting. You don’t have to stick to Christmas colors you can also use toppings like white chocolate chips, chopped toffee bits, butterscotch chips. Be creative!
So many great ways to change these up!
Serving and Storing
These cookie bars would be a delicious treat SERVED with warm cocoa or cider. Here are some of our favorite recipes:
- White Chocolate Peppermint Cocoa
- Caramel Apple Cider
- Mexican Hot Chocolate
- Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa
Much like traditional chocolate chip cookies, these cookie bars STORE really well. You can keep them on the counter or put them in the freezer to save for later.
- Room temp: Cover the pan with plastic wrap and then store the bars on the counter for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: Use plastic wrap to wrap the entire block with plastic wrap or you can wrap each bar individually. Wrap again with foil or place in a freezer Ziploc.
- Reheat: simply heat the bars up in the microwave for a few seconds.
For more Dessert Bars, try:
For more Christmas Treats, check out:
- Christmas Crack
- Christmas Trifle
- Christmas Puppy Chow
- Easy Shortbread Cookies
- Christmas Snack Mix
- Hot Cocoa Cheesecake Minis
Christmas Cookie Bar Recipe
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
- 1 c Christmas M&M's
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9×9 baking pan.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter.
- In a mixing bowl add the melted butter, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well and pour into the 9×9 pan.
- Evenly sprinkle the M&Ms and chocolate chips over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
A yummy cookie bar that can be changed to any holiday that your celebrating.
I’ve never tried bars before! Can’t wait to try this recipe!
Made these for my kiddos and they loved them! Was a great after school treat! And super easy to make!
These are so good! A family favorite this year! ☺️
Love this holiday version! The Christmas m&m’s are the perfect touch!
These are so fun to make with the kids! Super easy!
This is such an amazing Christmas treat! Love that it is so easy to make!
Cookie bars are awesome when I don’t want to bake the different batches of normal drop cookies. I love the festive Christmas m&m’s on these bars.
So delicious and was perfect to take to a large party. They were some of the first treats go.
I love any chewy type dessert and this did NOT disappoint!! So so yummy and perfect for all the holiday celebrations this month!