I’ve discussed my love of breakfast foods before and with it being the new year, I thought I’d share a healthy breakfast recipe today. This recipe is for Healthy Egg Muffins. It’s a simple and delicious recipe that is made of sausage, cheese, eggs and a few spices. The thing I like most is that they can be put together really quick and then just thrown in the oven for 15-20 minutes. They also keep well in the fridge for a week or so and can be easily re-heated. Sometimes, things are pretty crazy here in the morning so it’s nice to have something tasty and quick like these to re-heat over having a bowl of cereal (which is our typical go-to breakfast food).
These Muffins can also be changed up very easily. You can use different cheese, different meats, as well as different add-ins. You can throw in some chopped spinach, diced tomatoes or any veggie for that matter. We prefer to use Turkey Sausage so they are a bit more healthy but bacon or regular sausage can be used too. 😉
To make these egg muffins, you will need to preheat your oven to 375 and will also need about 10 eggs. Crack your eggs and whisk them together in a medium bowl. Add your cheese, sausage and extra ingredients (ie veggies). You will whisk this together until everything is combined well. Pour this mixture into muffin liners in a muffin pan (we double the liners if using a regular metal muffin pan or pour directly if using a silicone muffin pan). You will want to fill them pretty full. Place the muffin pan in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes. The eggs will puff up quite a bit so no need to worry – they will go down after they have come out of the oven. 😉 Enjoy these healthy muffins fresh from the oven. They can be eaten plain or even with salsa (my favorite).
For more egg recipes, check out:
- 10 eggs
- 1-2 tsp. seasoning of your choice. I use garlic pepper
- 1-2 cups grated low fat cheese. I use co-jack
- ½ cup lean meat, turkey sausage, ham, etc. We like turkey sausage
- Optional ingredients: 2 green onions diced small, ¼ cup diced spinach. Any chopped veggies would be a good addition.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. A silicone muffin pan or cups will work best for this recipe, but a standard muffin tin will work too. Just double your paper liners and spray well.
- Mix all ingredients together, whisking your eggs first.
- Pour into sprayed cups filling almost to the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking often. Eggs will puff up and look like they are over flowing. Don't be alarmed, they will set back down to normal size. Enjoy warm!
- NOTE: These will hold up well in the refrigerator for 7-10 days. I put two muffins in a snack sized bag to pop in the microwave each morning for a quick breakfast. YUMMY and a great start to the day!
For more great breakfast dishes, be sure to check out these favorites:
I am seriously obsessed with breakfast recipes!! That may be why we seem to have them for dinner more than for breakfast. 😉