These Healthy Egg Muffins are super simple and delicious! Add cheese, meat and veggies to make these tasty breakfast muffins, or customize them with your favorite ingredients. They’re not only great for breakfast but also for snacks and lunch!
I love having quick and easy breakfast recipes on hand, and especially ones I can make ahead! These healthy egg muffins are great for making ahead, as well as breakfast sandwiches, applesauce muffins, and breakfast burritos.
A quick, healthy breakfast
This recipe is for healthy Egg Muffins aka Muffin Tin Eggs. It’s a simple and delicious recipe that is made of sausage, cheese, eggs and a few spices – and baked in a muffin tin. The thing I like most is that they can be put together really quick and then just thrown in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
They also keep well in the fridge for a week or so and can be easily re-heated. Sometimes, things are pretty crazy here in the morning so it’s nice to have something tasty and quick like these to re-heat, rather than having a bowl of cereal (which is our typical go-to breakfast food).
How to Make Egg Muffins
We love simple and tasty recipes, and love that with the customizations, the kinds of egg muffins to be made are endless! Here is what you need to do to make them…
MIX. Mix all ingredients together, whisking your eggs first. Pour mixture into sprayed muffin tin cups, filling them almost to the top.
BAKE. Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking often. Eggs will puff up and look like they are over flowing. Don’t be alarmed, they will set back down to normal size.
Tip: Be sure to spray the tin well, so the egg muffin cups easily come out. We like them best directly in the muffin tin, but you could also use reusable silicone muffin liners. The cooked egg muffins slide right out and you can reuse the liner to make more delicious muffins!
egg muffin cup additions
These Muffins are very customizable. You can use different cheese, different meats, as well as different add-ins. Throw in some or any veggie for that matter. 😉
- Vegetables: Try any combinations of chopped spinach, diced tomatoes, chopped zucchini, chopped asparagus, garlic mushrooms, bell peppers, chives or scallions.
- Meat: We prefer to use Turkey Sausage so they are a bit more healthy, but bacon, ham, or regular sausage can be used too.
- Cheese: Cheddar, mozzarella, and even a Mexican blend all work great in this recipe
how to store and reheat egg muffins
Can breakfast egg muffins be frozen? Yes, once they have cooked allow them to cool, wrap each muffin with plastic wrap, and store in an airtight freezer safe container. Store for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or toaster oven.
How to reheat baked egg muffins? Cooked egg muffins can be stored in the fridge for about a week. To reheat in the microwave wrap the muffin in a damp paper towel cook for 15 seconds or until hot. Or you can reheat in toaster oven.
Can egg muffins be eaten cold? Since the muffins have been thoroughly cooked, it is safe to eat cold if that is your preference.
For more breakfast muffins, try:
For more egg recipes, check out:
- Baked Cheddar Eggs and Potatoes
- Crescent Breakfast Pies
- Avocado Bacon & Eggs
- Biscuit Egg Casserole
- Baked Western Omelet
Egg Muffin Recipe
- 10 eggs
- 1-2 tsp garlic pepper
- 1-2 cups Colby Jack Cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 1/2 cup lean meat (low-fat turkey, turkey sausage, turkey bacon, etc)
- veggies (optional) peppers, spinach, etc
- Preheat oven to 375 F. A silicone muffin pan or cups will work best for this recipe, but a standard muffin tin will work too.
- Mix all ingredients together, whisking your eggs first.
- Pour into sprayed cups filling almost to the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking often. Eggs will puff up and look like they are over flowing. Don't be alarmed, they will set back down to normal size. Enjoy warm!