This super easy key lime cake is bursting with fresh lime flavor and topped with whipped cream. It’s a delicious summer cake recipe, and if you love key lime pie – then definitely give this recipe a try.
a cake version of your favorite pie
Today I’m sharing this super easy key lime cake. We all know about key lime pie, but this key lime cake will give your favorite pie recipe some stiff competition.
What’s even better is that it’s a shortcut recipe that’s crazy easy to make because the recipe starts with cake mix. Then the lime flavor is fresh and tangy (but never sour) because we’re using fresh limes.
I know a lot of key lime cake recipes use jello for the lime flavor – but I wanted to make a key lime cake without gelatin in it. Spoiler alert – if you don’t have key limes on hand, you can also use regular limes.
How to Make Key Lime Cake
This cake recipe starts with a box mix. You can use vanilla, white or yellow cake mix – or for even more citrus flavor use lemon cake mix. Just make sure not to use angel food cake mix.
Instead of the ingredients listed on the box – we’re using ½ oil, ¾ sour cream, 3 eggs, ⅓ cup fresh lime juice and 2 tablespoons lime zest. The sour cream makes the cake extra moist and using 3 eggs ensures that it’s really tender.
(Note: 4 key limes should provide enough juice for the recipe since each lime gives around 2 tablespoons.)
After the cake is baked, we brush a simple key lime syrup made from sugar and lime juice. If you prefer a more mild lime flavor, feel free to skip this step.
Then the topping is whipped cream. Since key lime pie is decorated with whipped cream – I figured it was the perfect topping for this key lime cake. You can use whipped topping, or homemade whipped cream. Then decorate with a little lime zest.
If whipped cream is not your favorite cake topping, I would suggest trying cream cheese frosting. This would give it a richer taste, but you could still add lime zest on top to bring in the citrus flavor.
TIP: If you would like to make the cake green like key limes you can add a drop or two of food coloring. If you are worried about changing the taste of the batter I would suggest gel food coloring because it requires very little to make the color appear.
This is such a fun cake recipe because it tastes like summer, is so easy to make, and is just a little different. If you love citrus flavors or key lime pie – then definitely give it a try.
If you love key lime, try these other favorites too:
- No Bake Key Lime Pie
- Key Lime Pie Bars
- Mini Coconut Lime Cheesecakes
- Lime Sheet Cake
- Lemon Lime Poke Cake
Key Lime Cake Recipe
Key Lime Cake
- 1 box cake mix , vanilla, yellow or white
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
Key Lime Syrup
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups whipped topping , or whipped cream
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
Key Lime Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees (or 325F degrees if using a glass pan). Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9x13 inch pan.
- Add the cake mix, eggs, sour cream, 1/2 c oil, lime juice and lime zest to a large bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 27-32 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean and if you give the pan a gentle nudge the cake doesn't wobble in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- In a small saucepan over low heat add the lime juice and sugar. Heat until the sugar dissolves while gently stirring.
- When the cake is out of the oven, take a small pastry brush or a spoon and brush/drizzle the syrup over top.
- Spread the whipped topping over top of the cooled cake. Then sprinkle with lime zest.
- Cut into slices and serve.