Classic Key Lime Pie is creamy, tangy and completely irresistible. It’s incredibly easy to make, and the perfect pie for summer.
Key limes have such a refreshing and tangy flavor, which makes this dessert so delicious. If you like key lime flavor, you’ll love this Key Lime Cake or these Key Lime Pie Bars.
An iconic dessert!
Key lime pie is such an iconic Southern dessert. I love the tart key lime flavor, extra creamy texture, crunchy graham cracker crust and whipped cream on top. The subtly sweet graham cracker crust is the perfect compliment to the flavor of the filling!
Don’t be afraid to try making this pie from scratch! It’s SO much simpler than you think!
With only a small handful of ingredients, and only 20-25 minutes of total baking time, you’ll want to make this recipe again and again.
How to make key lime pie
INGREDIENTS: This classic pie only has a few simple ingredients. The graham cracker crust is made with graham cracker crumbs, white sugar, and butter. Then the filling is made with sweetened condensed milk, key lime juice, and egg yolks.
Make sure to use sweetened condensed milk and not evaporated milk. Note that you only need the egg yolks – so you can discard the egg whites. Again, the key limes can be substituted for regular limes if that’s all you can find. The flavor will only be slightly different!
PIE CRUST: Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter. Press the mixture into a pie pan (I like using a measuring cup to evenly press, but you can use your hands too), then bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool while you make the filling.
FILLING: Whisk together all of the ingredients and pour into the crust. Bake for 12-15 minutes until it is well set, but still wobbly in the center. Let cool completely, and then cover and put in the fridge for at least 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream and lime slices just before serving!
Tips for Making & Storing
- This recipe makes one 8-inch or 9-inch pie. There isn’t quite enough batter for a 10-inch or deep dish pie, however.
- We’re baking the crust on its own for 10 minutes first – this helps it stay together.
- For an extra tart flavor, add in 2 teaspoons of lime zest.
- If you prefer it a little less tart – use ⅓ cup lime juice instead.
- Be careful baking the pie – it should still have a wobble in the middle when you take it out of the oven. It’ll bake for about 10-15 minutes.
- Cool the pie fully, then chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving. Chilling the pie makes the filling set, and actually improves the flavor. Don’t skip this step!
- Don’t forget the whipped cream on top! It tastes soooo good with the key lime pie!
Can you make key lime pie with regular limes?
Yes – you absolutely can. I know sometimes key limes can be hard to find depending on where you live. So feel free to use regular limes instead. Just make sure to freshly squeeze the limes. Lime juice from the bottle can be too sour.
Storing/Freezing: Keep your leftovers covered with plastic wrap or foil in the fridge for 3-4 days. Or, you can freeze (without whipped cream or lime slices), wrapped in plastic wrap and tinfoil, or a freezer storage bag for a few months. To thaw, place in the fridge for 3-4 hours.
WANT MORE CITRUS RECIPES? TRY THESE:
Key Lime Pie Recipe
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup key lime juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- whipped cream & key limes for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Graham Cracker Crust
- In a medium bowl, stir together the graham crumbs, sugar, and melted butter.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of an 8 or 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes. Leave the oven turned on, and let the crust cool as you make the filling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and egg yolks until smooth.
- Pour the batter over the crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes. It should look somewhat set but still have a wobble to it.
- Remove from the oven and cool fully. Then cover the top and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
- Top with whipped cream, lime zest, and lime wedges.
key lime pie is wonderful with sweet-tart counter-balance, but one of those desserts that i forget about, so thank you for this recipe and reminder!
This pie was so creamy & delicious!! I love the hint of lime & graham cracker crusts are my favorite!
Perfect for a summer party! So easy too!
Key Lime Pie Screams SUMMER! This recipe was so delicious and simple to make!
Im a fan of chocolate desserts but sometimes a good pie hits the spot. This key lime recipe was the perfect choice. Thanks gor all the tips as id never actually made this type of pie before.
ANything with Graham cracker crust is AMAZING! This KEY LIME pie is one of my sisters favorites!
A great cool dessert. Its so creamy and easy to make.