Hi there! Hope you are all having a GREAT day! Summer is in full swing here at our house and the kids are already bored! Go figure. Them being bored = me going crazy :/ Do you know what I love to do when I feel like I’m going crazy? BAKE! Its gives me a little outlet, and doubles as bribery for the kids.
We recently made this Lemon Cake, and it was awesome! I love that it has the perfect amount of lemony flavor. It’s not too tart, but has just enough tart-ness to give you a delicious lemon taste. My sister got the recipe from a friend in Texas after it had been made for a church function. She knew she had to add it to recipes she wanted to make herself, and I’m glad she did. It was a hit with everyone!
I could have eaten the batter all by myself!
We decided to bake in a larger pan, which gave us the perfect sized squares. Like I mentioned, it’s so super light and lemon-y and was gone in no time. It’s definitely a great summer treat to make and will be perfect for your next family gathering. 😉 We hope you enjoy it!
For more lemon desserts, check out:
How to make Lemon Cake:
- 2 ½ cups cake flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk, room temp
- 3 TB grated zest
- ¼ cup lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ sticks butter, softened
- 3 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, room temp
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 TB lemon juice
- 2 TB milk
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla, set aside.
- With a stand mixer, beat sugar and lemon zest until smooth. Transfer ¼ cup sugar mixture to small bowl, cover and set aside.
- Add butter to remaining sugar in mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and egg yolk one at a time. On low speed, add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of the buttermilk mixture. Beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured 10x15 pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake at 325, for 25-35 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack and let cool 10 minutes.
- For the glaze, whisk powdered sugar, lemon juice and buttermilk until smooth. Gently spread over warm cake and sprinkle reserved sugar mixture evenly over the top. Serve warm or cool for at least 2 hours.