If you like the crumb, just as much as the cake then you’re gonna love this New York Style Crumb Cake! A moist, delicious bakery-style cake topped with loads of cinnamon sugar crumble and dusted with powdered sugar. Coffee break starts now!
This past summer I spent a weekend in New York City doing some training and networking for my blog. It was a quick trip to a city that I love. On my way home on Sunday morning I stopped in a bakery to grab a quick morning snack for my trip home, and there right before my very eyes was the most beautiful crumb cake I’ve ever laid eyes on. The slice was just as huge as the city it is named after. I probably consumed my entire daily caloric intake with this one gigantic slice of crumb cake, but I have to tell you, it was worth every single morsel! From there on out, I went on a quest to find an exact replica of this delicious New York Style Crumb Cake….and, here it is!
After a bit of searching, testing and baking, I came to discover that this recipe was the closest to that glorious slice of cake I had in New York. It offers the best tasting, moist cake, and the generous amount of crumb topping was perfect! Most of the crumb topping sits on top of the cake and bakes to a perfect, golden brown.
If you’re like me, and love the crumble topping just as much as the cake itself, you’re in the right place! This cake has no shortage of crumble! In fact, when you make the recipe, you may do a double-take after you mix up the topping. It looks like a lot, however, it really is the perfect amount – you wont be disappointed!
Here’s the recipe for this wonderful New York Style Crumb Cake:
New York Style Crumb Cake Recipe
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 cup butter melted
- 1 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp butter cut into pieces, softened but cool
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- powdered sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and adjust an oven rack to the upper middle position. Line a 8x8" square pan with parchment paper, with enough paper to fold over the sides. Set aside.
- Crumble Topping: Whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and flour. Pour melted butter over the mixture and use a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to mix thoroughly. Mixture will be thick and doughy. Set aside.
- Cake: With a hand or stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt and mix to combine. With mixer on low, begin adding the pieces of butter one at a time. Continue mixing until mixture resembles moist crumbs with no visible butter chucks remaining, about 1-2 minutes. Add egg, yolk, vanilla and buttermilk. Beat at medium for 1-2 minutes until the batter becomes light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Top the batter with the crumble topping, breaking apart any big chunks into smaller pea-sized pieces. Start at the edges and work toward the center. Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean and crumb-free. After baking, cool cake for at least 30 minutes. Remove cake from pan by lifting out of the pan by the edges of the parchment paper. Dust with powdered sugar.
Make sure to use Cake Flour and NOT all-purpose flour. With all-purpose flour, you'll end up with a dry, tough cake. Cake flour ensures the batter is light, fluffy and moist.
This recipe was adapted in part from Cooks Illustrated.
If you’re not able to get to New York anytime soon, I highly recommend making this delicious New York Style Crumb Cake! Perfect for enjoying with a delicious cup of coffee or tea for a nice morning or afternoon treat. Enjoy! ~Erin
If you enjoyed this recipe from Erin over at DelightfulEMade, then you’re sure to enjoy some of her other cake recipes like these:
Thanks so much Erin! I need to try this recipe ASAP.
For more amazing recipes from her, head over to Delightful E Made!
For some more delicious breakfast cake recipes, check out these posts:
For all breakfast recipes on the site, go HERE.
For all recipes, go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Don’t miss a thing – Sign up for the Lil’ Luna Newsletter today!