Anyone that knows me, knows that I love treats. Sadly, in my mind, if it doesn’t include chocolate, I don’t consider it a treat. Yes, it’s true. In fact, each Sunday night my family gets together for dinner and everyone volunteers for different assignments. My sister, Tara, and I always give each other a sad look when we see that the dessert is an apple pie or something fruity. I know some of you are thinking we’re crazy (and we probably are)! Fortunately, today’s recipe is FRUITY but REALLY good too. I was surprised that these Lemon Squares actually were considered treats in my book since they were so good. And although we prefer chocolate goodies, these little guys were delicious!
If you love lemon treats, then I think you’ll love these Lemon Squares. They’re not SUPER lemon-y but have the perfect amount of it with no tart involved either and delicious Vanilla Wafer crust! 😉
Here’s the recipe:
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com.
I love how this simple dessert kind of changes things up for me. Since I’m so used to doing something chocolatey, its nice to have a non chocolate treat that is equally as delicious. We’ve tried different recipes in the past. These win my vote by a landslide. Try them for yourself. I think you’ll agree that they’re pretty awesome!
For even more fruity treats, check out:
- Cherry Bars
- Strawberry Short Cake Poke Cake
- Better than Starbucks Lemon Loaf
- Peach Dump Cake
- Lemon Pound Cake
Lemon Squares Recipe
Delicious Creamy Lemon Squares with a Vanilla Wafer Crust and irresistible taste!
- 20 vanilla wafers approximately, crushed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup margarine cold
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp lemon peel grated, divided
- 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
Line an 8-inch baking pan with foil extending over sides of pan.
- In a bowl, combine wafer crumbs, ½ cup flour and brown sugar. Cut in margarine until mixture crumbles; press firmly onto bottom of your pan. Bake at 350 for 15 min.
- In the meantime, beat cream cheese and sugar with electric mixer until blended. Add your eggs and flour; mix well. Blend in lemon peel, lemon juice and baking powder; pour over crust. Bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until center has set. Cool completely.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and remaining lemon peel. Serve.