Pumpkin, yellow cake, and white chocolate pumpkin spice frosting give this Magic Pumpkin Cake it’s well deserved name. It’s scrumptious!
Layered desserts not only look pretty, but usually have an irresistible combination of textures and flavors. This pumpkin magic cake is one of our favorite layered pumpkin desserts, right up there with Pumpkin Lasagna and Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars!
Why is it so magical?
Magic Pumpkin Cake is made up of a creamy pumpkin puree layer, a layer of yellow cake, and a white chocolate pumpkin spice frosting topped with white chocolate shavings!! See for yourself why this 3 layer Magic Pumpkin Cake is so magical!
This cake is called “magic cake” because the pumpkin layer sinks to the bottom while it’s baking. The kids think it’s a tasty science experiment. I think it’s a tasty dessert, especially in the fall!
If you like Pumpkin, you’ll love this recipe!
The pumpkin will sink to the bottom – it’s MAGIC!!
How to make this layered dessert
PREHEAT. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray.
CAKE LAYER. Start out by preparing the box of yellow cake mix according to the package instructions. Pour the cake batter into a greased 9×13″ dish and set aside.
PUMPKIN. Make the pumpkin layer by mixing the pumpkin, evaporated milk, cream, eggs, and brown sugar in a medium bowl, until smooth. Pour pumpkin mixture over the cake batter in the 9×13 pan.
BAKE. Bake for about an hour, until it doesn’t jiggle in the middle.
FROSTING. While the cake is cooling, make the frosting. Whisk together the white chocolate pudding mix, pumpkin pie spice, and milk until smooth. Fold in the Cool Whip, mix well. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake and top with white chocolate curls!
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe Tips + Variations
Pumpkin. Be sure to use pumpkin Puree and NOT canned pie filling.
Pudding. You will need to buy INSTANT pudding. Do not make pudding as directed on the box. Use the powder in the recipe as instructed.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Recipe uses basic spices you probably already have in your cupboard- cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg.
Batters. DO NOT mix the pumpkin batter with the cake batter. Just pour over the top. Once baked, it may be hard to tell the layers have switched. Don’t worry, trust the process, frost and enjoy!
Chocolate curls are easiest to make with slightly softened chocolate. Use a vegetable peeler to peel off beautiful curls.
- Use white cake mix instead of yellow.
- Instead of making the spiced frosting, simply use Cool Whip on top.
- Replace the chocolate shavings with white chocolate chips, cinnamon chips, or butterscotch chips.
- The white chocolate pudding can be replaced with vanilla pudding mix, or cheesecake pudding mix.
Make ahead of time. Magic Pumpkin Cake can be made up to a day in advance, and stored in the fridge.
STORE. Cover leftovers and store in the fridge for up to a week.
For more pumpkin desserts, check out:
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Dip
- Pumpkin Delight
- Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake with Oreo Crust
- Gooey Butter Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars
- Pumpkin Roll
Pumpkin Magic Cake Recipe
- 1 box yellow cake mix PLUS ingredients on the back of the box – eggs, water, oil
- 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 box white chocolate instant pudding mix 3.4 oz
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 cup cool whip
- white chocolate curls
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the cake as instructed on the package and pour it into a greased 9×13 pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add pumpkin, evaporated milk, cream, eggs, and brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Pour it over the cake batter in the 9×13 pan.
- Bake for an hour (or until it no longer jiggles in the middle).
- Let cool. Make frosting by whisking together the white chocolate pudding mix, pumpkin pie spice, and milk until smooth.
- Fold in Cool Whip and mix well.
- Spread over cooled cake and top with white chocolate curls.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from I Wash You Dry.
I can’t find white chocolate pudding mix. Would vanilla work?
This was a hit. Everyone wanted the recipe!
We LOVE this cake!!! It is so good and turns out perfectly every time!
See More Comments