Delicious Frosted Gooey Butter Pumpkin Bars are a simple and yummy bar recipe that will quickly become a fall favorite.
These Gooey Butter Pumpkin Bars are simple to make. They are just so gooey and delicious it’s hard not to enjoy them with or without the frosting. For more pumpkin try Pumpkin Beignets, Pumpkin Lasagna, or Pumpkin Custard.
Spiced + Delish
Are you guys sick of the pumpkin recipes yet? I sure hope you aren’t. Today’s recipe is one I’ve been meaning to try for years (yes – years!!) There is a Gooey Butter Bar recipe that I make all the time made with cake mix.
When I discovered that Pillsbury made a Pumpkin Cake Mix, I need I needed to try a pumpkin version of this recipe. I mean, how could I not?! This year, I was finally able to do it and the result was amazing!!! What I loved most was that it definitely had a PUMPKIN taste to it, but wasn’t overwhelmingly pumpkin tasting if that makes sense. And what’s even better is you can make it more pumpkin-y by adding a little bit of Pumpkin Pie Spice. 😉
I ended up using a can of Cream Cheese frosting to top it off, but these bars are good on their own too. You could also use my recipe for Homemade Cinnamon Cream Cheese frosting instead too. Both good, right?!
Quick + Easy
PREP. Grease a 9×13 pan and turn oven to 325.
CAKE LAYER. Blend cake mix, 1 egg and butter until smooth. Press into your greased 9×13 pan.
CREAM LAYER. Blend cream cheese, 2 eggs, and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. Spread over your the first mixture in your pan.
BAKE. Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown (middle may sink in a bit). Top with powdered sugar and let cool.
FROSTING. If desired, add frosting when done along with a sprinkle of a Cinnamon/Sugar mixture.
Tips + Variations
Line the pan with parchment paper. This makes it super easy to lift the bars out and cut.
You can easily change out the pumpkin flavored cake mix for another flavor. In fact, we have a recipe for a traditional Gooey Butter Cake made with yellow cake mix. To try out a different flavor all you need to do is substitute the cake mix and keep the other ingredients & directions the same. Some other flavors and combinations you can try include:
- Strawberry cake mix topped with cream cheese frosting and freshly sliced strawberries
- Favorite chocolate cake mix topped with chocolate drizzle
- Funfetti cake mix topped with frosting and sprinkles
- Lemon cake topped with lemon curd and lemon zest
- Carrot cake mix topped with toasted pecans
- Key Lime, use a yellow cake mix and then add key lime juice to the cream cheese mixture
These delicious pumpkin bars STORE really well. They can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge or even in the freezer. Leftovers can be stored in the same manner.
Cover and STORE for about 5 days in the fridge.
Flash FREEZE first by placing the bars on a baking sheet. Freeze until firm. Wrap each bar with plastic wrap and place in a freezer safe Ziploc. You can also layer them in a freezer safe container, separate layers with parchment paper. Store for up to 3 months.
Gooey Butter Pumpkin Bars Recipe
- 1 box pumpkin cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 8 oz PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- powdered sugar to sprinkle
- cinnamon sugar to sprinkle on
- Grease a 9x13 pan and turn oven to 325.
- Blend cake mix, 1 egg and butter until smooth. Press into your greased 9x13 pan.
- Blend cream cheese, 2 eggs, and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. Spread over your the first mixture in your pan.
- Bake at 325 for 40-45 minutes or until edges are golden brown (middle may sink in a bit).
- Top with powdered sugar and let cool.
- If desired, add frosting when done along with a sprinkle of a Cinnamon/Sugar mixture.