This moist pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting is filled with brown sugar, spices, & all your favorite fall flavors. Plus, it’s topped with a rich cream cheese frosting, making it by far the BEST pumpkin cake recipe!
This cake is one of the most classic fall recipes you can make! It’s perfect for feeding a crowd at holiday dinners and potlucks. If you need more pumpkin cake recipes, try pumpkin dump cake or pumpkin coffee cake!
our favorite Pumpkin Cake!
Hi there! It’s Fiona stopping in from Just So Tasty, and today I’m sharing this easy pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. It’s moist, full of fall flavors, and topped with creamy, smooth cream cheese frosting. You’re going to love it.
Now I don’t know about you, but I always get excited for fall baking. But to be totally honest, I’m not a huge pumpkin pie person. So when pumpkin season rolls around I’m always looking for easier pumpkin desserts.
As far as easy pumpkin desserts go, this pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting is the perfect option. It’s filled with pumpkin, vanilla, and fall spices. Then, because we’re use more brown sugar than white, there’s a delicious hint of caramel that cannot be beat. You’ll also love how moist the cake is thanks to a few key ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- Brown Sugar
- A little sour cream
- Pumpkin puree of course!
How to Make Pumpkin Cake
It’s easy to do! Just follow these steps…
PREP PAN. Start by preheating your oven and greasing/lightly flouring a 9×13 pan.
CAKE BATTER. Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder, and pumpkin spice) in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, beat together the oil, sugars, and eggs. Once they’re all mixed, add the sour cream and pumpkin puree and beat until well combined. Put the mixer on low speed and add the flour mixture, being careful not to over mix.
BAKE. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Once the cake is done baking and totally cooled, it’s topped with cream cheese frosting. I love how cream cheese frosting isn’t too sweet. Plus it goes so perfectly with spice cakes, carrot cakes, and of course – this pumpkin cake. You can add a few chopped nuts to the top of each piece, or fall sprinkles look cute too.
How do I store leftover frosting? Cream cheese frosting can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about a week. It also freezes really well. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge when you’re ready to use it.
Cupcake Version: If you want individual servings of this recipe, you can make cupcakes instead of an entire cake. Simply scoop the muffin tins ¾ full of batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. We also have a separate Pumpkin Cupcake recipe!
Can I use fresh pumpkin puree? You can definitely substitute 1:1 homemade puree with canned puree. Be careful to drain as much excess moisture from your homemade puree as possible. Here’s how to make your own pumpkin puree:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Slice the pumpkin in half from top to bottom and scoop out the seeds and strings.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place pumpkin halves, with the inside of the pumpkin facing toward the foil. Bake for 40-60 minutes depending on the size of your pumpkin.
- Allow pumpkin to cool enough to handle. Use a sharp knife to carefully cut away the skin. Toss skin in the trash and place the reminder of the pumpkin in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Line a mesh strainer with cheesecloth. Pour puree into the strainer. Let stand at room temperature for 1-2 hours to allow excess moisture to drain.
- The puree should be able to keep its shape when pressed together with the cheesecloth.
- Store leftover puree in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze for 9-14 months.
I’ll definitely be making this pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting over and over again this fall. And if you’re looking for an easy pumpkin recipe that’s perfect for potlucks or family dinners – this recipe is definitely for you!
For more yummy pumpkin recipes, check out:
- Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Mini Pumpkin Pies
- Pumpkin Waffles
- BEST Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Roll
- Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins
- Magic Pumpkin Cake
Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup vegetable oil (canola works too)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt)
- 15 oz pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream if needed
- chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F degrees. Grease & lightly flour a 9×13-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate large bowl beat together the oil, sugars, vanilla, and eggs using an electric mixer. Then beat in the sour cream and pumpkin puree.
- With the mixer on low speed, carefully beat in the flour mixture being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl beat together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until soft. Then slowly beat in 3 cups of powdered sugar.
- If the frosting seems too thin, beat in an extra ½ cup powdered sugar. If it seems too thick, beat in 1 tablespoon of heavy cream.
- Frost the cooled cake using a flat knife. Cut into slices, and optionally top each piece with chopped walnuts.
I love pumpkin cake! Thank you Fiona for sharing this delicious recipe! Go check out, Just So Tasty for more delicious recipes! ENJOY!
I would like to make this receipe but in France we haven’t can of pumpink puree. Could you tell me which sort of pumpink must I choose, and if I have to strain it a lot after cook it ? Many thanks for your help !
I found a homemade version, that will hopefully help 🙂 http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/make-your-own-pumpkin-puree/
I made this for work and everyone loved it! Adding this to my favorite recipes. Thank you!
You’re welcome!! I’m so happy to hear it was a hit!
This pumpkin cake looks really tasty. Thanks for sharing Fiona.
How much salt do you add? I don’t see it in the ingredients but it’s in the instructions. Thanks!
I’ve updated the recipe 🙂 It’s 1/2 tsp. Thanks for catching that!
Looks yummy…can it be done as cupcakes?
I haven’t tried, but I don’t see why not! 🙂
Made it last night. Flavours were wonderful. Like a pumpkin pie with a crumble on top. Thank you for the recipe. One question: Can evaporated milk be replaced with other milks?
I am glad you like it! I’m not sure if you are talking about this recipe, even though it was a contributors, I don’t see milk in the ingredient list?
This cake is amazing! We made it once and just made it again tonight. Just a question….salt? I see it in the instructions but not in the ingredient list. How much did you use?
This cake is amazing!! This is the second cake I have made in less than a week. I also made the cake into cupcakes. My hubby loved this cake so much I made another today for his monthly goody work day! Hope they love it as much as we do. I did forward the link onto him so he could pass this recipe around! Great job!! jean
I hope his co workers like it, too!! I am glad you guys do 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing that!
Hi! I’m putting this cake together now, but noticed in the list of ingredients there’s no salt listed. Then, #2 of the instructions clearly states to whisk salt Together with the other dry ingredients. Help!! How much do I add?? I have everything out on my counter, the oven is preheated, my pan is ready and I’ve come to a screeching halt!!
Oh, no..I am so sorry!! This recipe is from a contributor, Fiona at https://www.justsotasty.com/. You would need to leave her a comment on her site. So, sorry that it’s not listed!!
1/4 teaspoon salt
I love this cake!! It is so moist & soft & I like adding the nuts! This cake wouldn’t be complete without that cream cheese frosting!
This is great tasting pumpkin cake with a yummy cream cheesE frosting. Yor family will love this cake. Very moIst!
I made a large sheet cake of these and they were devoured! I am sure that I will be making them again soon!
This cake has the perfect pumpkin flavor & is so moist & soft! I love the frosting, too!
Pumpkin amd cream cheese? Its definitely an irresistible combination. ThAnks for sharing!
great tweak on a carrot cake, very nice, thank you!
Love the thickness & how soft & fluffy this cake is! My favorite is the cream cheese frosting!
Cream Cheese frosting is an absolute favorite of mine! I love the pumpkin flavor with the frosting. It really is the perfect combo!
Yum! We love this recipe!!
This turned out flavorful and moist.