This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Simple and delicious pumpkin dump cake preps in minutes. With so many spices and sweet flavors, it’s perfect all fall long!
A Perfect Fall Dessert!
It’s PUMPKIN time!! It’s that time of year when pumpkin and soup recipes start popping up everywhere and fall is on its way!
It’s called pumpkin dump cake, because you literally dump it, bake it, and enjoy it! It is so simple, and literally is the BEST fall cake.
making a Dump Cake
“Dump” cakes are as easy as they sound! Just mix and dump layers in a pan. Hence the name. Dump cakes are similar to cobblers, but a cobbler uses a biscuit or pie crust as the topping.
PREP. Preheat oven to 350°F.
BATTER. Mix pumpkin, milk, ginger, cloves, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Pour into a greased and floured 9×13 pan.
TOPPING. Sprinkle cake mix and chopped pecans on top. Cut butter very thin and cover all over the cake mix.
Additional Topping Ideas
The pecans are totally optional on this easy pumpkin dump cake, but if you aren’t a fan of pecans try:
- crushed graham crackers
- toffee bits
- substitute for another type of chopped nut
Although we love this dessert as is, you can change up this pumpkin pie dump cake with a few of these suggestions.
Cake mix alternative. You are only using the dry cake mix, and not making it into a cake batter. If you don’t have yellow cake mix, use a pumpkin spice cake mix, or make a homemade mix.
- Whisk together 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, 1½ cups granulated sugar, 3½ teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt plus 4 tbsp butter (½ stick).
- Use a pastry cutter to blend in the butter, and you’ve got a homemade yellow cake mix.
- Replace the ginger, cloves, and cinnamon with an equal amount of Pumpkin Pie Spice.
- Forgo the Whipped Cream and add a scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Drizzle with Caramel Sauce.
- Sprinkle on mini chocolate chips.
Pumpkin puree. Note that this pumpkin cake with yellow cake mix calls for a can of pumpkin puree and NOT canned pumpkin pie filling. The pie filling already has spices and other ingredients mixed into it. Whereas pumpkin puree is only pumpkin.
STORE. We like to serve this pumpkin dump cake recipe warm, but you can store leftovers, covered, in the fridge. It should last for at least 2 days.
Reheat a slice by microwaving in 30-second intervals until it is the desired temperature.
FREEZE. To freeze a whole baked cake, wrap the entire pan with plastic wrap and again with foil.
For the leftover cake, divide it into individual freezer containers. Thaw overnight in the fridge and serve chilled or reheat the slices in the microwave.
The bottom layer of this cake will be a bit gooey, but it should still be set enough to hold its shape when cut. The top section will have a more cake-like texture.
Canned pumpkin is pumpkin puree combined with sugar and extra spices. Pumpkin puree is pure pumpkin. Be sure to use pumpkin puree in the pumpkin dump cake recipe.
For More Pumpkin Recipes, Check Out:
- Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Magic Pumpkin Cake
- Easy Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Bars
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecakes
- Libby’s Pumpkin Roll
Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix pumpkin, milk, ginger, cloves, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Pour into a greased and floured 9×13 pan.
- Sprinkle cake mix and chopped pecans on top.
- Cut butter very thin and cover all over the cake mix.
- Bake for 1 hour and serve warm with whipped cream. ENJOY!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.