Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup tastes just like the original, and is AMAZING! Filled with hearty (and yummy) ingredients, it’s sure to be a hit!
Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup is creamy and tastes like heaven in a Bread Bowl or served up with some fresh Dinner rolls. If you love the restaurant version, this is a MUST-TRY for soup season.
Copycat Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Who loves Panera Bread?
The first time I had it was years ago in Chicago, and I’m so glad it’s made it’s way to Arizona!
One of my favorite soups from there is their Broccoli & Cheese Soup – so good (different from our classic Broccoli Cheddar soup, but just as good)!!
Yes, we’ll still go and dine in, but now I can make the soup at home ANY TIME I want to because this recipe tastes JUST like it and the flavor is so delicious!
If you’re obsessed with this soup like us, then I think you’ll be just as excited as we are. 😀 I think I’ll make some next week and serve it in sourdough bread bowls!!
How to Make Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
The combination of cheese, broccoli and carrots make this soup irresistible!!
Oh, and top it off with croutons – I promise you won’t regret it. ;D
ROUX. Whisk 3 cup butter in a large pot over medium heat, until melted. Whisk in flour and cook for a few minutes to create a roux.
LIQUID. Pour half and half (heavy cream works too but we prefer half and half) into the flour mixture gradually, making sure to whisk as you pour. Add chicken stock to the mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until thickened.
VEGETABLES. Add broccoli and carrots and simmer until the vegetables are tender (which takes an additional 20 minutes or so).
CHEESE. Stir shredded cheddar cheese (sharp or medium works) into the vegetable mixture and stir until the cheese melts.
SEASON. Season with garlic salt and pepper to taste.
Make it In the Crock Pot
Yes, you can also make this Broccoli Cheese soup recipe in the slow cooker. Here are the instructions:
- Melt an additional 1 tablespoon butter in your slow cooker.
- Once melted, add the broccoli and carrots and the broth to the crock pot and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- Turn slow cooker to high. And create roux by melting butter in a small pot on medium heat. Whisk in flour once the butter is melted and stir and cook for a few minutes. Ladle one cup of the broth mixture into the roux and stir.
- Pour this into the slow cooker and add the half and half, cheese, garlic salt and pepper.
- Cook for an additional hour on HIGH in the slow cooker.
RECIPE Tips + FAQ
Here are some tips and frequently asked questions to help make this recipe.
Can I make this Vegetarian? To make this vegetarian be sure to use vegetable broth.
Can I add a protein? Yes, chicken is a great addition and makes the soup even heartier. You can use our shredded chicken recipe and you can add about 1 ½ – 2 cups to the soup.
Can I add onions? Yes, just throw them in when you add the veggies.
Can I use chicken broth instead of chicken stock? Yes, you can. We prefer stock because it adds more flavor but broth works great too.
How to store? Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days. For best result reheat on the stove top but the microwave works well too.
Can I freeze this soup? The best technique to FREEZE soup is to let it cool completely and then fill freezer safe bags with soup. Lay it flat and freeze it that way. Let it thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
How to reheat? Reheat the soup on low heat on the stove. Stir occasionally to help all the ingredients reincorporate well.
For more favorite soupS check out:
- White Chicken Chili
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup
- Crock Pot Green Chile Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup
Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- Whisk ⅓ cup butter in a large pot over medium heat, until melted.
- Whisk in flour and cook for a few minutes to create a roux.
- Pour half and half into the flour mixture gradually, making sure to whisk as you pour. Add chicken stock to the mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until thickened.
- Add broccoli and carrots and simmer until the vegetables are tender (which takes an additional 20 minutes or so).
- Stir shredded cheddar cheese into the vegetable mixture and stir until the cheese melts.
- Season with garlic salt and pepper to taste.