My Mom is famous for a lot of things. One of them being, sugar cookies. Her sugar cookies are out of this world! They are thick, and soft, and amazing! We love finding new sugar cookie recipes to see how they stand up to her old fashioned ones. Todays tried and true recipe measured up quite nicely and mostly because we modified our favorite Sugar Cookie recipe.
These peppermint sugar cookies were a big hit with the entire family! They are similar to other recipes, but with a Christmas twist. My favorite part was the crushed candy canes on top. We even went one step further and put peppermint extract in the cookie dough. Sooo good!
Friends, Christmas is just around the corner. These peppermint cookies will be perfect for you office party, or as a sweet holiday gift for your neighbor. Make them! Everyone will love you for it. Promise. 😉
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. peppermint extract
- 2¾ cup flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- 4½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. peppermint flavor
- crushed candy canes
- food coloring pink
- In a large bowl (or kitchen aid), cream butter, cream cheese, egg, sugar and both your almond and peppermint extract, until fluffy.
- In a separate, smaller, bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Stir until soft dough forms.
- Taking care not to handle the dough too much, toll out and cut with cookie cuter. Thinner cookies with by crunchy, while thicket cookies will be soft and chewy.
- Place on a greased pan, bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
- While baking, mix all frosting ingredients with hand mixer. Slowly add milk if frosting is too thick. Frost cooled cookies and, if desired, sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Enjoy!
TRIED & TRUE FINDINGS:
- DIFFICULTY: Easy
- HOW MANY DOES IT FEED: 6+
- ANY CHANGES MADE: added peppermint extract and crushed candy canes
- ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT TIME: none
Who doesn’t love a good sugar cookie recipe?! These will be perfect for Christmas! For another holiday favorite:
For more great Christmas cookies, check out: