I think this recipe for Peppermint Meltaways is the perfect way to start off this special time of year. They’re super soft and full of peppermint flavor.
All Things Peppermint
Christmas means a lot of different things to different people. To me, amongst many other things, it means PEPPERMINT everything. Peppermint cocoa, Peppermint popcorn, Peppermint brownies… Add peppermint into any dessert recipe, and I promise, it’ll feel like Christmas time to you too!
I think today’s recipe for Peppermint Melt Aways is the perfect way to start off this special time of year. They’re super soft and are full of peppermint flavor. And true to its title, they magically melt away in your mouth – just like Cotton Candy!! Try them and tell me it doesn’t feel a bit magical 🙂
What are Meltaway Cookies?
These cookies are a soft, shortbread-butter cookie that literally melts away in your mouth. And this particular recipe is peppermint-flavored making them perfect for Christmas!
To make these peppermint meltaway cookies, combine butter, powdered sugar and peppermint extract. Beat until creamy. Then, add flour and cornstarch and beat util low until it is mixed well. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour.
Shape dough into 1 – 1 1/2 inch balls. Place onto an un-greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 12-15 minutes.
Top it all off with a homemade peppermint glaze by mixing powdered sugar, butter, milk, peppermint extract and food coloring. This glaze can be drizzled over the cookies and topped with sprinkles or crushed candy canes.
How long do these cookies last? Store in an air-tight container, these cookie should last 4-5 days.
These Christmas melt away cookies are like cotton candy melting in your mouth! I know you’ll love them. 🙂
More Great Holiday Cookies
- White Chocolate Peppermint M&M Cookies
- Peppermint Oreo Sugar Cookies
- Snowball Cookies
- Peppermint Cheesecake Cookies
How To Make Peppermint Meltaways [Video]
Peppermint Meltaway Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2-3 drops food coloring red, if deisred
- candy canes or hard peppermint candy, crushed
In a large bowl, combine butter, powdered sugar and ½ teaspoon peppermint extract. Beat until creamy, scraping down sides of bowl. Add flour and cornstarch; beat on low until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate until firm, about 60 minutes.
- Shape rounded tbs of dough into 1-inch balls. Place 1-2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake @ 350 for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Let cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute then remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine 1½ cups powdered sugar, 2 TB butter, ¼ tsp peppermint extract and milk (enough to reach desired consistency). Mix in for coloring. Drizzle over cooled cookies and sprinkle with crushed candy.
Adapted from Land O Lakes