Pull Apart Bread is a favorite appetizer and perfect for sharing. There is cheesy, delicious goodness in every bite!
Pull Apart Bread makes such a perfect party-pleasing appetizer. Southwest Egg Rolls, Bacon Wrapped Smokies, and Sausage Balls are also sure to be a hit!
Cheesy Pull Apart Bread
Cheesy Pull Apart Bread is a delicious appetizer that will feed a crowd. It can be eaten with hands, and is easy to whip up.
One of the best things about this Pull Apart Bread is that you don’t need a big platter to serve it. All of the ingredients are in the bread loaf and stay in the bread loaf. Then everyone just pulls apart pieces of it to snack on.
With ooey gooey cheese in every piece of bread, it’s bound to be a huge hit with all of your party guests.
Pull Apart Bread is like a savory cousin to pull apart Monkey Bread that both kids and adults will love.
How to make Pull Apart Bread
PREP. With a bread knife, cut 1-inch slices width-wise in the loaf. Make sure not to cut through to the bottom of the loaf!
Stop cutting when you’re about 1 inch to the bottom. Repeat the 1-inch cuts in the opposite direction.
CHEESE. Once the bread is cut, shred the Monterey Jack cheese and stuff it into every nook and cranny in the bread cuts. Make sure to get it everywhere so that the bread is cheesy throughout!
BUTTER. Mix the melted butter and poppy seeds and drizzle it all over the bread and cheese.
BAKE. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the cheesy bread onto a baking sheet. Tent a piece of foil and cover the bread.
This will prevent the bread from over-browning and will keep all of the heat in which makes the cheese melt nicely. Bake the bread for about 15 minutes.
GARNISH + SERVE! After 15 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Once the cheese is melted, take it out of the oven and garnish it with the green onion!
Bread. The best bread to use is a round, crusty sourdough bread or another dense bread. You could also use a plain, crusty baguette in a pinch.
Cheese. Substitute Mozzarella for the Monterey Jack cheese. Choose a cheese that melts well and is freshly grated. Prepackaged shredded cheese is coated with an anti-clumping agent, which prevents it from melting as well as freshly grated cheeses.
Party perfect. If you are bringing Pull Apart Cheese Bread to a party, it is best to assemble it at home and bake it once you get there so it will be warm out of the oven. It could also be reheated for 2 min in the microwave if needed.
There are many different kinds of Pull Apart Bread flavors. Try any of these:
- Buffalo – fill with mozzarella cheese/bleu cheese, buffalo sauce, and parsley.
- Pizza – fill with mozzarella cheese, pizza seasoning, and mini pepperoni, dip in marinara sauce.
- Cinnamon Roll – fill with cream cheese frosting, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Breakfast – fill with cheddar cheese, bacon/sausage, and green onions.
Make ahead of time. Start a few hours before you are planning to serve it. Cut the bread, stuff it, and wrap it up tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Keep it in the fridge until you have time to bake it before serving.
STORE leftover bread wrapped up in the fridge. This recipe will store well in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat, wrap in foil and warm in the oven for 8-10 min at 350°F. This will keep the bread soft and re-melt the cheese. Or pop them in the microwave for 2 min or until the cheese is warm and melty.
For more great bread appetizers, check out:
- Cheesy Pizza Rolls
- Bacon Cheddar Pinwheels
- Buffalo Chicken French Bread
- Spinach Artichoke Bread
- Buffalo Pull Apart Bread
Pull Apart Bread Recipe
- 1 lb round sourdough loaf unsliced
- 1 lb Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2-3 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- With a bread knife, cut 1-inch slices width-wise in the loaf. Make sure not to cut through to the bottom of the loaf! Stop cutting when you're about 1 inch to the bottom. Repeat the 1-inch cuts in the opposite direction.
- Once the bread is cut, shred the Monterey Jack cheese and stuff it into every nook and cranny in the bread cuts. Make sure to get it everywhere so that the bread is cheesy throughout!
- Mix melted butter and poppy seeds and drizzle over bread.
- Tent foil over bread and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake a additional 10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions.
My husband and I think this looks amazing! We will have to try it soon!
What’s not to love about this bread?! It’s cheesy & delicious!! Love that you can pull out sticks of bread. It’s great for entertaining!!
A very simple bread recipe that takes not much effort but taste cheesy and good.
This is one of the easiest and delicious appetizers to make. I think when I make it next I’ll try adding bacon crumbles.