These delicious Southwest Egg Rolls are fried to perfection and are filled with chicken, corn, peppers, beans, spices and more! Serve them with salsa, sour cream or guac and they are sure to be a favorite party appetizer.
Delicious Southwestern Egg Rolls
Guys, I’m totally smitten. These southwest egg rolls have stolen my heart. They are extra crispy on the outside, and bursting with an insane amount of flavor and texture on the inside. Not only are the delicious but they are EASY to make. Plus if you don’t enjoy deep fried food, no worries, I’ve got you covered. The oven “fries” them beautifully. No oil to clean up, no splatters all over your range, no burns, no mess!!
They make a great party appetizer or a fun dish the entire family will enjoy. You can freeze them and pop them in the oven when you need them or you can bake them and reheat the leftovers the following day. Speaking from experience here! ????
How to Make Southwest Chicken Egg Rolls
You’ll start by making the filling. Everything is made in one pan. Yes, just one pan. ❤ You want the chicken and the vegetables to be cooked properly before you roll them in the tortillas that way any excess moisture evaporates and you’re not left with a hot mess. Literally.
Then you roll the filling in the tortillas. I used a mix of whole wheat and regular flour tortillas and I could not tell the difference between the two. I doubt your kids will be able to either.
Make sure when you roll the egg rolls up they are tight and the ends are tucked in nice and snug. This will prevent filling from leaking out and oil from leaking in.
You have two options for frying the egg rolls:
- Add ½ cup of your to a skillet and pan fry them.
- Spray or brush them with oil and bake them on a lined baking sheet until golden brown and crispy.
Both methods are great options. The first is definitely more messy and finicky, but it’s a lot quicker. The second is more time consuming but is also a “set it and forget it” approach, which I personally love.
Serve the egg rolls up with sour cream, your favorite salsa, or some creamy guacamole dip. No matter how you serve them, these southwestern egg rolls are sure to be a hit. We couldn’t get enough of them!
For more great appetizers, check out:
And for more egg roll recipes, check out:
- Classic Fried Egg Rolls
- Copycat Cheesecake Factory Egg Rolls
- Avocado Bacon Egg Rolls
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
Southwest Egg Rolls Recipe
For the filling:
- 2 tsp. canola, avocado or grapeseed oil
- 1 chicken breast cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/3 c. frozen or fresh corn
- 2 tbsp. minced red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp. minced green onion
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 c. black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 c. loosely packed fresh spinach, chopped into roughly 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. minced cilantro
- 3/4 c. grated cheddar, colby jack, or pepper jack cheese
For rolling and frying:
- 8 6-inch flour tortillas whole wheat work well too
- canola, avocado, or grapeseed oil for frying or baking
For the filling:
- In a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the chicken and corn. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to brown.
- Add the bell pepper, onion, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, cumin, and paprika. Mix until combined and continue cooking for 3 additional minutes.
- Add beans, spinach and cilantro. Cook just until the spinach has wilted, then remove from the heat and stir in the cheese.
For rolling and frying:
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 8 tortillas. Roll up, taking care to tuck the ends snuggly in to create a nice seal and prevent the mixture from oozing out or oil from getting in.
- For pan frying: Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add about 1/2 cup of oil to the skillet, let the oil get hot. Add 4 rolls at a time (seam side down) and fry until all sides are golden brown. Remove and let rest on a paper towel lined plate before serving. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- For oven frying: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Lightly spray (or brush) all sides of the egg rolls with oil and place seam side down on the prepared sheet. Spray (or brush) the tops of the egg rolls with an extra layer of oil. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa or guacamole.