Sweet and savory Homemade BBQ Sauce is simple and FULL of flavor. It’s perfect to slather on any of your favorite proteins.
Homemade BBQ Sauce is perfect for pouring over your favorite appetizers—like BBQ Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites—and using to flavor your main dishes like Dr. Pepper Ribs and Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken!
Homemade BBQ Sauce
For an extra depth of flavor, or if you just don’t have any on hand, you can easily whip up your very own BBQ Sauce!
Have you ever done it before??
All of the ingredients are things I usually have on hand, making it a snap to create my own BBQ Sauce. I love that I can adjust the flavors accordingly, add spice, or make it sweeter depending on my taste.
The measurements in the recipe is my go to flavor profile, and I think you’ll love it.
This sweet and savory sauce is perfect for slathering on any of your favorites: Pork Chops, Chicken, Burgers, or Wings just to name a few!
Get outside and enjoy something on the grill!
How to make BBQ Sauce
COMBINE. Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan and mix until well combined.
BOIL. Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and cook for 1 minute. Let cool and serve.
- Use smoked paprika for added depth of flavor.
- Use sriracha ketchup for some heat.
- Adding hot sauce and red pepper flakes will also increase the heat.
- Add honey or maple syrup for a bit of sweetness.
- Use apple cider vinegar rather than red wine vinegar.
- Use part brown sugar and part molasses to sweeten the sauce.
- Thicker sauce just needs to simmer for a bit longer to allow more liquid to evaporate.
Tips + FAQ
This homemade barbecue sauce is great to dip some of your favorite dishes, like these Crispy Chicken Tenders. It is also delicious to use in some of our best BBQ recipes:
How to store? STORE sauce in a mason jar, or any air tight container will work. Keep the sauce refrigerated for up to 1 week.
How to freeze? FREEZE for up to 3 months.
For more homemade Sauces, try:
BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tbsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Add all ingredients to a medium pot and mix until well combined.
- Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and cook for 1 minute. Let cool and serve.
We won’t be using any other BBQ sauce. This was so flavorful! You could use it on any kind of meat, which makes it a win!
I love barbecue sauce especially if it’s homemade. Simple but very flavorful!
I love when I find a great homemade sauce recipe. This is really good.
This is so much better than store bought BBQ Sauce! The flavor is perfection!