Tangy and sweet fry sauce is the only dipping sauce you’ll ever need for your fries, burgers, and nuggets!
The base of most fry sauces is a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise. From there you add some spice and make it your own. Our version adds the perfect amount of tang. Try pairing this sauce with our Homemade French Fries, Crispy Sweet Potato Fries, or topping a tasty hamburger such as our Ranch Burger.
What is Fry Sauce?
Fry sauce is definitely a regional thing, but this magical dipping condiment has grown in popularity. You can even find it on some grocer store shelves! However, the homemade version is definitely the way to go.
Fry sauce is famous in Utah. In fact, the version we all know and love was first served at Carlos’ Barbeque which eventually became the fast food chain, Arctic Circle. From there other places began serving this delicious sauce. The sauce has recently gotten more attention and can even be found in many grocery stores around the country under the name Mayo Ketchup.
Fry sauce is most notably used for french fries, but is also used for chicken nuggets, corn dogs, burgers, tater tots, wraps and more.
Here are some of our favorite recipes to pair it with:
How to Make Fry Sauce
COMBINE. Pour all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until combined. Keep refrigerated for 1 week.
Storage: whether you make this ahead of time or use it right away, the sauce is good for 1-2 weeks in the fridge. Be sure to store it in an airtight container. Do not freeze.
- Mayo is the base of this sauce. If you don’t like, or can’t have, Mayo you can try using Miracle Whip or Vegan Mayo
- Juices: use pickle juice, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, or horseradish
- Turn up the heat: Add tabasco sauce, cayenne pepper, red chili flakes
- Many Restaurants have their own take on this sauce:
- Red Robin replaces ketchup with BBQ Sauce
- In n Out Burger adds pickle relish
- Outback Steakhouse adds horseradish and brown mustard
So many great ways to change this up for any food!
For More Dressings and Dips, try:
Fry Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp season salt
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl and whisk until combined. Keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.