Skillet Lasagna is a comforting and cheesy one pot meal. It takes just 30 minutes and is perfect for dinner any night of the week!
One Pot Lasagna
One pot dinner meals are the best! I’ve come to find that my mood is inversely correlated to the amount of dirty dishes in my sink.
The less dishes, the happier I am, and the more dishes there are, the crankier (and less productive) I am. That’s why meals like this Skillet Lasagna make me so happy. 😉
Not only will you have less dishes to do with this meal, but it only takes 8 simple ingredients, two of which are cheese. Can’t go wrong with using just one pot, a few ingredients and cheese. Am I right?!
Our family always love cheesy pasta dishes, so I’m sure you could guess that it was well-received. We hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
How to make Skillet Lasagna
BEEF. Cook the beef, onions, and garlic together until browned.
Note: Before adding anything else, drain the meat. I used to ladle out the grease but I’ve found that pouring everything into a strainer is much faster and thorough.
SAUCE. Add in the marinara sauce and beef broth.
NOODLES. Toss in the noodles into the skillet and bring it all to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and let it all simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until noodles are al dente. It does need to be stirred occasionally (every 3-4 minutes) to make sure the noodles cook evenly.
Note: The noodles will cook and the sauce will thicken as it simmers.
CHEESE. Once the noodles are al dente, turn off the heat and stir in half of the mozzarella. Dot the top with ricotta cheese, sprinkle on more mozzarella, and cover the skillet for 2-4 minutes until all the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Storing Tips + Variations
To make skillet lasagna ahead, complete step 1 then transfer the lasagna to a freezer safe container. Allow to cool and FREEZE for up to 2 months. To REHEAT, allow the dish to thaw and place it back into a skillet, heat and complete step 2.
I like to divide my leftovers into individual servings. This makes it easy for my husband to grab a container to take to work, or for anyone else in the family to reheat for their own meal. Leftovers can STORE in the fridge for 3-4 days.
If you wish to make changes you certainly can with minimal effort. Try these variations:
- Add veggies: spinach, corn, zucchini, carrots are all great choices
- Replace ricotta cheese with small curd cottage cheese or even plain yogurt
- We used farfalle (aka bowtie) pasta, but you can use any similarly sized noodles. You can even break up a large lasagna noodle into smaller pieces. That way you even get the more classic lasagna look.
- I use beef bouillon with water as it’s more cost effective and takes up less space in my pantry/fridge. You could use just water but the beef broth/bouillon adds such a depth of flavor.
There are endless ways to change up this recipe to your liking. 🙂
Complete the meal with:
Skillet Lasagna Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 24 ounces marinara sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6 ounces farfalle noodles about 2 cups
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- Place beef, onions, and garlic in a skillet over medium-high heat and cook until meat is browned. Drain off the fat and then add in the marinara sauce, beef broth, and noodles.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and let it simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until noodles are al dente.
- Stir in half of the mozzarella cheese and then dot the top with ricotta. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella, cover and let it sit for 2-4 minutes until cheese melts. Serve immediately.