Turn one of your favorite appetizers into lunch or dinner with these Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwiches!!
Spinach Grilled Cheese
I think most can agree that you can’t go wrong with a Grilled Cheese Sandwich!! Although the kids are happy with the standard KRAFT cheese in the buttered bread, the hubby and I like to change it up a bit. Often times, we’ll make Paninis or just “fancy” grilled cheese sandwiches with avocados and cream cheese.
We recently tried a new version that has become a favorite. We made Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese. I had tried Spinach and Artichoke Taquitos and had some left over mixture, and thought they’d be good in a sandwich. We were happy to give it a try and we loved the result.
The sandwiches were cheesy and tasted much like the Spinach and Artichoke Bread we posted awhile back We realize they may be a little more work than the regular grilled cheese, but they were so worth it!! In fact, I’m thinking these sandwiches would be good as appetizers too. Just cut them in four and add a toothpick, and these would be great at your next party.
How to Make Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
To make this yummy spinach grilled cheese sandwich, we recommend using Sourdough Bread. It makes for the best grilled cheese, although any bread works.
MIX. Begin by mixing sour cream, mayo, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and minced garlic. Stir in spinach and artichoke hearts.
COOK. Butter bread and add a few tablespoons of mixture to the bread and grill on both sides until golden brown.
Tips + SToring Info
Fresh spinach: If you are using fresh spinach you will want to cook it down on a skillet to remove some of its moisture.
- To sauté fresh spinach: Add 1 tsp butter in a large non-stick skillet. Melt butter over medium heat then, add garlic and saute until garlic is lightly browned and fragrant, about 30 – 60 seconds. Add in the spinach and saute until the spinach wilts.
Bread: I love the combo of sourdough with the delicious creamy filling, but any hearty bread will work such as thickly sliced rye bread, brioche, Pullman bread, boule, ciabatta, pumpernickel.
STORE any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Line the bottom of the container with a paper towel to absorb any extra moisture. Reheat on the stove in a greased pan to retain the crispiness of the bread.
For more easy cheesy recipes, check out:
Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese divided
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup spinach frozen, thawed and drained
- 4 oz artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- Mix sour cream, mayo, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, and garlic until smooth. Stir in artichoke hearts and spinach.
- Butter outside slices of bread and add a scoop of spinach/cheese mixture to bread. Spread around and fry on pan or griddle until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve warm and ENJOY!