Hi again, Lil’ Luna readers, and happy December!
It’s Samantha from Five Heart Home and I’m excited to be stopping by today with a recipe for a fun holiday snack!
There are so many occasions around the holidays calling for an easy, yummy snack mix, and this White Chocolate Peppermint Puppy Chow fits the bill perfectly. You’ve probably had other versions of Puppy Chow before, but it typically starts with Rice Chex cereal and ends with a coating of powdered sugar.
In between those steps, however, today’s version gets coated in creamy white chocolate and a hefty sprinkling of crushed candy canes. In fact, not only are crunchy bits of candy cane peppered throughout the snack mix, but some of them are finely ground and then incorporated with the powdered sugar, meaning that this Puppy Chow delivers an extra hit of peppermint goodness!
White Chocolate Peppermint Puppy Chow is the perfect sweet treat to carry you through December, whether your family craves a snack while snuggled up on the couch watching Christmas movies or while driving around looking at Christmas lights. Or set out a bowl of this Puppy Chow at a holiday party and watch it disappear!
It’s also ideal for scooping into a jar or cellophane bag, tying with ribbon and a cute tag, and giving as a gift to neighbors, teachers, and friends. You can get quite a few gifts out of one batch, which is always a bonus in my book!
And psssst! Can I tell you a little secret? At the end of December, when you find your pantry overrun with random candy canes, this snack mix is a great way to use them up!
If you’re looking to whip up a big batch of something sweet to enjoy (or share!) this December, I hope you’ll give this White Chocolate Peppermint Puppy Chow a try! It’s crunchy and sweet, creamy and minty, and the perfect way to put a little Ho Ho Ho in your holiday snacking. 😉
- 1¼ cups crushed candy canes (approximately 7½ ounces, or 50 mini candy canes), divided
- 6 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 12 ounces white chocolate baking bar (such as Baker's) or white melting chocolate
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- To crush candy canes, place in a gallon-sized freezer bag. Use the flat side of a meat mallet (or a rolling pan) to pound into small pieces. Measure out ¼ cup of these crushed candy canes into a food processor and pulse until a fine powder is formed. Set aside.
- Pour Chex cereal in very large bowl/container with a tight-fitting lid. Melt white chocolate according to package directions. Immediately pour melted white chocolate over Chex and gently stir until all cereal is coated. Fold in 1 cup crushed candy canes. Sprinkle powdered sugar and remaining ¼ cup candy cane powder over Chex mixture. Cover bowl with lid and gently shake and turn bowl until all ingredients are coated in powdered sugar. Allow to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- *If you don't have a large bowl with a lid, you may combine the Chex, melted white chocolate, and crushed candy canes in a large bowl as directed. Then immediately transfer the Chex mixture to a large plastic bag that already has the powdered sugar and candy cane powder measured into it; seal and shake.
I’d love to have you stop by Five Heart Home sometime or connect with me via the social media links below!
A few of my quick & easy, family-friendly, real food favorites for the holidays…
I wish I had a handful (or a bowl-ful) right now! This looks so yummy and perfect for all those Christmas parties coming up.
For more great recipes from her, be sure to check out Five Heart Home.
For more delicious recipes from Samantha on Lil Luna, check out:
Tis’ the Season for pulling out the Stretchy pants and enjoying some yummy treats. 😉
For all treat recipes on the site go HERE.
For all recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂