7 layer bars are filled with gooey layers of baking chips, pecans, and coconut on a buttery graham cracker crust. They are pure magic!
7 layer magic bars are crazy simple to make and taste like comfort food heaven. They hit all of the sweet notes that will leave you coming back for seconds! They are similar to Magic Cookie Bars, and are right up there with M&M Chocolate Bars and Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars.
What are they?
Why are they called 7 layer bars when there appears to be only 6 layers?! Some recipes do include white chocolate chips as a layer, but in this case we’re counting butter as that magic layer. These 7 Layer Bars are very similar to our magic bars, but have a delicious graham cracker base and a layer of crunchy pecans.
I’ve seen different versions using slightly different layers such as using walnuts or almonds instead of pecans, different flavored chocolate chips, chopped pretzels or mini marshmallows. Sometimes we like to substitute the butterscotch chips with peanut butter chips for an entirely new flavor profile!
One really fun addition would be to use festive colored M&Ms to match different holidays.
Just layer and bake!
PREP. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350°F
LAYER IN THIS ORDER:
Graham crackers crumbs and butter, pressed evenly into bottom
Sweetened condensed milk (pour evenly)
BAKE. Use a fork to firmly press down all the layers. Bake for 25 minutes. Once cooled you can cut these seven layer bars into squares, rectangles, or diamonds.
Tips + Tricks for 7 layer magic bars
Note: Make sure that you use Sweetened Condensed Milk and NOT evaporated milk or other milks.
Baking Tip: Line the pan with parchment paper before adding the ingredients. After they have baked and cooled simply lift the entire block of bars out of the pan using the paper. This makes them much easier to cut.
Note: Cover uneaten 7 layer bars and store at room temperature.
storE & Freeze
STORE 7 Layer Magic Bars in an airtight container for 3-5 days or in the fridge for up to a week.
And great news- You can also FREEZE them for later. To freeze wrap each bar with plastic wrap and place them together in a freezer Ziploc. They’ll last for about 3 months. Thaw before eating.
They make really great treats to throw into my kids’ lunch boxes or a late night snack for the hubby and I.
7 Layer Bars Recipe
- ½ c butter melted
- 1 ½ c graham cracker crumbs
- 1 14 oz. can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 c semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 c butterscotch chips
- 1 c flaked coconut
- 1 c chopped pecans
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl combine the graham crackers crumbs and butter. Pour into the baking dish and press evenly over the bottom.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the graham cracker layer.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips in an even layer, then do the same with the butterscotch chips. Next, sprinkle the coconut flakes on, and top it off with a layer of the pecans.
- Use a fork to firmly press down all the layers. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Once cooled you can cut the bars into squares, rectangles, or diamonds.
- Cover uneaten bars and store at room temperature.