This Breakfast Enchiladas Casserole is everything you love about enchiladas and breakfast casseroles in one recipe! Corn tortillas, eggs, sausage, bacon, green chili sauce, sour cream, and lots of cheese!! Definitely a crowd pleaser!
Easy Breakfast Enchilada Casserole
Hey guys! I’m Kristin from Yellow Bliss Road back with another delicious recipe. We love enchiladas and we love breakfast, so for this recipe, I’ve married the two to create this Breakfast Enchilada Casserole! One of our favorite meals of all time is this Chicken Enchilada Casserole. I thought it would be fun to do a play on that recipe, but for breakfast. As luck would have it, this Breakfast Enchilada Casserole turned out even more amazing than I expected.
This Casserole is super creamy, a little spicy and just all around delicious! It’s perfect for any meal of the day, from breakfast to dinner, and requires very little effort (which is my favorite thing!). The layer method for this Breakfast Enchilada Casserole is the same as the chicken one, and the flavors are very similar, only instead of chicken, you’re using scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage! I added some tater tots too, because what’s a breakfast casserole without tater tots? Of course there’s lots of cheese, and a creamy green chile enchilada sauce to top it off.
How to Make Breakfast Enchiladas Casserole:
It may sound like a lot of steps, but trust me.. All of these are really, really easy steps. First, cook the elements of the casserole: Scrambled eggs with salsa, bacon, sausage, tater tots. Combine the green chile enchilada sauce with some sour cream. Then layer it all together in this order:
- Creamy green chile enchilada sauce
- Tortillas (broken to fit the casserole dish)
- Scrambled eggs mixed with salsa
- Tater tots
And then repeat! Add each of these layers two more times to complete your casserole, finishing with a layer of tortillas, then sauce, then cheese. Top with reserved crumbled bacon, if you like! Bake at 350° for 40 minutes covered with nonstick foil, then uncover and bake for an additional 10 minutes (or until cheese is bubbly). And there you have it! Mouthwatering breakfast enchilada casserole.
This Breakfast Enchilada Casserole is sure to be the star of your next meal, no matter whether that’s brunch or dinner!
For more delicious breakfast dishes, check out:
- Eggs Benedict Casserole
- Crescent Roll Sausage Bake
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Egg & Cheese Hashbrown Waffles
- Ham and Cheese Strata
Breakfast Enchilada Casserole Recipe:
- 9 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 15-ounce can green chile enchilada sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- 12-16 corn tortillas
- 2 dozen tater tots, baked
- 8-ounce package sausage, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 6 slices bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled (1-2 tablespoons reserved for topping)
- 2½ cups shredded cheddar-jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives, sliced, for garnish
- Whisk together eggs, milk and salt. Cook in a buttered skillet on medium heat, stirring often, until eggs are cooked through (not browned). Stir in 1 cup salsa. Set aside.
- Stir together green chile enchilada sauce and ½ cup sour cream. Set aside.
- In an 11"x7" or 13"x9" baking dish, pour a thin layer of the enchilada/sour cream sauce. Layer with tortillas, breaking to fit as necessary to form a single layer. Spoon a third of the egg mixture over the tortillas, then a third of the bacon, sausage, and tater tots, a third of the shredded cheese and a third of the remaining enchilada sauce. Repeat with two more layers, finishing with a layer of tortillas, then sauce, then cheese. Top with reserved crumbled bacon, if desired.
- Cover baking dish with nonstick foil. If you don't have nonstick foil, stick several toothpicks into the casserole to keep the foil from touching the cheese. Casserole can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month before baking.
- Bake, covered, for about 40 minutes in a pre-heated 350 degree oven. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more, or until cheese is completely melted.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
For more awesome recipes by Kristin, go check out her site, Yellow Bliss Road.
Here is another savory breakfast recipe to try: