A lighter Chicken asparagus pasta bake that is a favorite dish topped with Panko and baked to crispy perfection!!
We obviously like our pasta dishes baked a little more on the crunchy side, and that’s what happens when you top it off with delicious Panko!! Complete this meal by also making Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread, Simple Pesto Salad or Baked Zucchini Chips.
A lighter Pasta Bake
I know there are a ton of recipes that I’ve had here on the blog that involve chicken and pasta but today’s recipe is a little bit “lighter” and includes an additional favorite ingredient – ASPARAGUS!
My favorite part of the dish is the asparagus, but in reality, it’s all so delicious and one that we have enjoyed for years. We definitely can’t get enough of Pasta!!
How to make Chicken asparagus Bake
PREP. Preheat oven to 350.
PASTA. Boil pasta as directed (any kind words although penne is our fav).
CHICKEN & ASPARAGUS. While pasta is cooking, cook chicken and asparagus pieces in pan with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onion powder and garlic salt and cook until chicken is tender. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
COMBINE. Add pasta to a greased 9×13 dish and added chicken and asparagus mixture on top. Drizzle with olive oil and lightly toss until the olive oil is over everything.
BAKE. Top with cheese. Combine Panko and melted butter and sprinkle over the top. Sprinkle on Italian Seasoning. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Tips, Variations + Storing Info
When trimming asparagus you want to first remove the tough end of the stalk. Simply bend the asparagus and it will naturally snap right where the tough section begins. Discard the tough end and chop the remaining piece for this recipe.
Here are a few variation ideas:
- Instead of boiled veggies, you can easily toss the asparagus into the pan along with the spices in step 3 to saute.
- Use broccoli or cauliflower instead of asparagus.
- I use Penne pasta but any similarly sized pasta will work in this recipe.
- Mix in Zucchini, Bacon bits, Chopped Mushrooms
When I have a dish that’s easy to make I will often double it and save half as a quick freezer meal for another day. This comes in handy when I’m running around like a crazy person all day and don’t have time to make a meal. I also like having meals on hand to deliver to friends who may need a “pick me up” on a hard day.
To FREEZE, place half of the dish into a freezer Ziploc. Leave to top open to allow it to cool a bit. Zip it, label and freeze for 4-6 weeks. Thaw in the fridge and reheat in a skillet on the stove. Add a bit of milk to help smooth the texture.
STORE divided into individual containers and refrigerate for 3-4 days. FREEZE for 4-6 weeks. Reheat in the microwave or stove top.
For more great chicken and pasta recipes, check out:
- Chicken and Asparagus Pasta
- Chicken Scallopini
- Lemon & Asparagus Pasta
- Chicken Alfredo Casserole
- Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta
Chicken Asparagus Pasta Bake Recipe
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 1 lb asparagus ends trimmed and cut into 3 pieces
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2-3 cups Mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup panko
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Italian Seasoning
- Boil pasta as directed.
- While pasta is cooking, cook chicken and asparagus pieces in pan with 1 tbsp olive oil. Add onion powder and garlic salt and cook until chicken is tender. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add pasta to a greased 9×13 dish and added chicken and asparagus mixture on top.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lightly toss until the olive oil is over everything.
- Top with cheese.
- Combine Panko and melted butter and sprinkle over the top. Sprinkle on Italian Seasoning.
- Bake for 30 minutes.