This Creamy Chicken Orzo is made with simple ingredients and can be on your table in 30 minutes. It’s a meal the whole family will love!
This is a super easy dinner recipe that will please even your picky eaters. If your family is like ours…..they can’t get enough pasta recipes, lol! But what I love most about this recipe is that it is made all in one pot!
A 30 Minute Meal!
If you are short on time but need a comforting and wholesome meal this Creamy Chicken Orzo is the dish for you. It only takes a handful of simple ingredients and 30 minutes to make this one-pot wonder.
Why do we love it, other than the fact that it requires easy ingredients and just a little bit of time? Well, you pretty much just throw everything in, stir, and cook. That’s it!
And boom you end up with a cozy meal that the whole family will enjoy. I call that a win!
Here is what you’ll need to make this creamy chicken and orzo dinner recipe.
- CHICKEN: Use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. You can also use rotisserie chicken and toss it in when you add the orzo.
- VEGETABLES: I am using the classics- onion, celery, and carrots. With garlic for added flavor. But you can use whatever vegetables you prefer.
- ORZO PASTA: I haven’t tested this recipe with anything but orzo pasta so I can’t say for sure how substituting for other pasta or rice will work.
- CHICKEN BROTH: Use lower sodium to control your sodium levels.
- SALT AND PEPPER
How to Make Creamy Chicken Orzo
CHICKEN: Start by cooking the sliced chicken with the onion, celery, and carrots until the chicken is no longer pink. Be sure to season with salt and pepper while cooking. Stir in the garlic.
PASTA: Stir in the orzo pasta, chicken broth, and parsley. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Be sure to stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the pan.
And that’s it! We told you it was easy!
Dairy free, but creamy?
How is this dairy-free and creamy, you ask? Well, it’s sort of like risotto….when cooking, the starches from the pasta make a silky and creamy like sauce.
However, if you feel it needs to be a little creamier, add ½ cup of heavy cream or half and half. My family loves it both ways!
Serving and storing
We like to SERVE this pasta dish with salad or bread. Here are a few suggestions:
- French Bread
- Olive Garden Breadsticks
- A simple side salad with this Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad
STORE any leftover chicken orzo in the fridge in an airtight storage container for 3-5 days.
When REHEATING, you may want to add a bit of water or chicken broth to add some moisture and revive the consistency.
For More Favorite Simple Pasta Dishes, try:
Chicken Orzo Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large (or 2 small) chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound orzo pasta, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium to medium low heat.
- Add chicken, onion, celery, and carrots and cook until chicken is no longer pink. (about 5 minutes) Season with salt and pepper while cooking. Stir in the garlic.
- Add broth, orzo, and parsley. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Stir frequently to prevent the pasta from sticking to the bottom of the pan.