Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies take a shortcut on ingredients but not on flavor! They are packed with chocolate flavor.
Similar to our Crinkle Cookies or Double Chocolate Chip Cookies, these Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are a chocolate lover’s dream! For more chocolate goodness, try our Chocolate Kiss Cookies.
Cake Mix Chocolate Cookies
I don’t know about you, but my kids are big fans of cookies! We love to bake up some easy cookies for special occasions, sharing, or just for fun! We always put Christmas plates together with our favorites.
These Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies are especially easy and yummy. We cut the prep time by using a cake mix, but amped up the flavor by adding in some extra, tasty ingredients like cream cheese!
We love the addition of white chocolate chips, similar to our Double Chocolate Cookies!
Chocolate cookies made with cake mix
This is one of our favorite cake mix cookie recipes, it’s so delicious and easy!
PREP. Preheat oven to 350°F.
BATTER. With a hand mixer, beat butter, egg, and cream cheese until fluffy. Add in cake mix and beat until smooth. Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
BAKE. Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out dough and roll them into balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet and lightly press the tops to flatten them a bit.
Bake for 12-13 minutes. Top with a few chocolate chips when the cookies come out fresh from the oven.
Room temperature ingredients. Use room-temperature butter and cream cheese. Put them on the counter for about 30 minutes before baking the cookies. This will allow them time to soften, but not get too soft and definitely not melted otherwise, the cookies will turn out flat.
Easy clean up. If you don’t have parchment paper to line the baking sheet with you can use a silicone mat or cooking spray.
Soft cookies. There are 3 main ways to make and keep your Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies soft.
- Do not over-mix the dough. The gluten in the cake mix will over-activate and cause a tougher texture.
- Don’t overbake. In fact, I usually err on underbaking a bit and then allow the cookies to finish baking while they’re cooking on the hot pan.
- Store them properly in an airtight container with a piece of white bread.
Ingredients. Use unsalted butter, for best results don’t use a butter substitute or vegetable oil. I used a 15.25 oz box of chocolate cake mix. You can use any brand between 15-18oz.
- Cake mix. This recipe uses a box of classic chocolate cake mix but different flavors of cake mix can be used like devil’s food cake mix, triple chocolate fudge cake mix, or dark chocolate fudge cake mix.
- Chip flavors. Use peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, milk, or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Nuts. Mix in chopped nuts like pecans, walnuts, or macadamia.
STORE. Cool baked cookies on wire racks and store them in an airtight container on the counter for several days.
To help keep them fresh and soft add a piece of white bread to the container.
FREEZE baked Cake Mix Chocolate Cookies. Put 1-2 cookies in fold-top sandwich bags and then store them together in a Freezer Ziploc. Freeze for 4-6 months.
FREEZE cake mix cookie dough. Place cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet to flash-freeze them. Freeze for about 2 hours or until solid. Place balls in an airtight freezer-safe container for 4-6 months.
To bake. Remove the desired number of dough balls. Allow to thaw on a cookie sheet and bake according to the recipe. Bake them from a frozen state, adding 1-2 minutes to the bake time.
Cake Mix Recipes
Cake mixes are wonderful for whipping up a quick treat, but a lot of people often want to know how to make them taste better. One way is to use the mix to make other types of desserts such as:
- Gooey Rolo Cookies uses a chocolate cake mix folded around a Rolo Candy.
- Magic Pumpkin Cake uses yellow cake mix and pumpkin puree.
- Lemon Bars with Cake Mix uses lemon cake mix baked in bar form and topped with a dusting of powdered sugar.
- Jello Poke Cake uses a white cake mix drizzled with flavored jello and then chilled.
- Strawberry Butter Cake uses strawberry cake mix to create a gooey sheet cake with a cream cheese topping.
For More Cookie recipes:
- Strawberry Cookies
- Valentine Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- No Roll Sugar Cookies
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup butter softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- 1 chocolate cake box mix
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With a hand mixer, beat butter, egg, and cream cheese until fluffy. Add in cake mix and beat until smooth. Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop out dough and roll it into balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet and lightly press the tops to flatten them a bit.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Top with a few chocolate chips when the cookies come out fresh from the oven.
YUM! I used milk chocolate chips because that’s what I had in my house and we loved them. Next time I will make again with white chocolate!
They would be tasty with either kind of chip! So glad you enjoyed the cookies.
These have quickly become our favorite cookies. Super easy to make and so delicious! My 10 year old loves to make these for her friends! Thanks for the best recipe!
These cookies came out great – thanks for the easy recipe!!!
Super easy chocolate cookie that will satisfy your family. You will love how quick these cookies come together.
I wanted the white chocolate with the chocolate cookie combo but didn’t love the random white chocolate chip through out so I scooped the cookie dough balls and then added white chocolate chips on top. Same great taste but I though they were visually prettier.