Super easy and delicious NO ROLL Sugar Cookies with a delicious frosting. No rolling pin needed for these – just drop and bake!
AKA Drop Sugar Cookies
I may be slightly obsessed with Sugar Cookies. They are probably my favorite cookie of all, and I’m sure it has to be because there is a nice layer of delicious frosting on top. It may be the kid in me, but I simply LOVE a delicious and soft cookie covered in frosting and sprinkles!!
Over the years, my mom has tried so many recipes for sugar cookies and we have usually liked them all, but we have definitely picked out our favorites. The one I am sharing today just happens to be one of those “favorites” and it’s not just because they are finger-looking delicious, but because they are really simple.
As you see from the title above, these are No Roll Sugar Cookies (aka “Drop Sugar Cookies”) which means there is no rolling involved, you just plop the dough on the cookie sheet. Easy, right?
I love that these don’t need to be rolled because I feel like Sugar Cookies can be a little crunchy if you roll them too thin, and in my mind Crunchy Sugar Cookies are a no-go. I need them soft and I can tell you right now that these cookies are SUPER soft and seriously so delicious!
how to make drop Sugar Cookies
The best thing is that no rolling is involved!!
PREP. Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
COOKIE DOUGH. In bowl or stand mixer cream shortening, butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and extracts and mix well. Combine baking powder, salt and flour in a separate bowl. Gradually add to the wet mixture until blended.
BAKE. Using cooking scoop, lightly roll dough ball in hands, place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and press top of cookies half way down. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Tip: The use of butter and shortening help give these cookies a nice thick chewy cookie without the added chill time. If you want your cookies thinner just press down on the cookie dough ball a little more before baking.
homemade Buttercream Frosting
For the frosting, beat butter until fluffy using a hand mixer.
Add vanilla and milk. Blend lightly. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time.
The final texture should be solid, but soft. Frost the cookies and sprinkles if desired!
Storing, Tips, & Tricks
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week. To help keep them soft and chewy stick a slice of white sandwich bread in the container as well. The bread will suck excess moisture leaving your cookies softer longer.
You can make these cookies ahead of time and store them in the freezer to be used later. This is helpful for a last minute family treat or to have on hand to put in kids’ lunchboxes.
- Freezing baked cookie: I recommend freezing these unfrosted. If they have already been frosted you’ll want to flash freeze* them first. Store them in an airtight freezer safe container for about 3 months. To be extra cautious wrap each cookie with plastic wrap first.
- Freezing cookie dough: Form cookie dough balls and flash freeze. Store them in an airtight freezer safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw dough before baking. You may need to add a minute or two to the bake time.
- *Flash freezing: Place cookie/dough on a baking sheet in a single layer. Freeze for a couple hours before transferring them to an airtight container. This will help them keep their shape and avoid sticking to one another.
- This recipe is easy to double for large parties or to freeze some for later.
- Instead of frosting them, you can dip the top in sprinkles before baking
- If you do not have parchment paper, simply spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Don’t over mix! Beating too much air into the butter mixture can cause them to rise and fall flat. Also, over mixing the flour can activate the gluten too much yielding a tougher cookie.
Nothing better than a Frosted Delicious Sugar Cookie!!
For some other favorite Sugar Cookie recipes, check out:
- Favorite Sugar Cookies
- Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Gooey Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Copycat Lofthouse Sugar Cookies
No Roll Sugar Cookies Recipe
Super easy and delicious NO ROLL Sugar Cookies with a delicious frosting. No rolling pin needed for these - just drop and bake!
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour plus 2 tbsp
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In bowl or stand mixer cream shortening, butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and extracts and mix well.
- Combine baking powder, salt and flour in a separate bowl. Gradually add to the wet mixture until blended.
- Using cooking scoop, lightly roll dough ball in hands, place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and press top of cookies half way down.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- For frosting, beat butter until fluffy using a hand mixer. Add vanilla and milk. Blend lightly. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time.Texture should be solid but soft. Frost cookies.