Creamy Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes are flavorful potatoes that are full of flavor. They are a perfect side dish with any meal!!
My delicious addiction
Why do potatoes have to be so stinkin’ delicious?!
I admit I’m slightly addicted to the veggie and would love to have them in every recipe, but alas – they’re not that great for you so I try to limit them. Having said that, when making a nice meal for our family (like Sunday dinner or a special occasion or a holiday), potatoes HAVE to be included because everyone loves them. We have loads of go-to potato dishes, but we love trying out new ones like today’s recipe for Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes.
We’ve been fans of red potatoes for a long time, so we were bound to try a mashed potato version. We usually use Russet potatoes for this, but red potatoes are so good mashed, I may never go back to Russet!! 😉
This recipe was very simple (like most of the recipes I post on here) and was so flavorful. You can obviously adjust the ingredients to match your taste buds but we thought they were perfect served with some chicken for dinner. Add some rolls and you have the perfect Sunday meal (perhaps with a few healthy items like fruit and carrots). 😉 Bottom line, we hope you like these as much as we did.
Making the perfect garlic mashed potatoes
COOK POTATOES. Place potatoes and garlic in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes (or until potatoes are tender). Drain potatoes and place back in a pot.
SEASON. Add butter, half and half, garlic salt and pepper. Blend with hand mixer until it’s the consistency you like.
SERVE. Stir in cheese and top with fresh parsley. ENJOY!
Tips, Variations + Storing Info
To make it in the slow cooker: Cut the potatoes into small cubes, about 1 inch. Add in your seasonings and enough liquid to cover the potatoes to cook for 4-5 hours on high. After the potatoes are nice and tender, drain excess liquid. Turn the pot to warm and then add in the warmed dairy. Once everything is added in you can mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add chopped chives/green onions
- Chicken Gravy
- Cooked crumbled bacon
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Dash of smoked paprika
- No need to peel red potatoes, just make sure to scrub the skins clean. Also, cut out any browned spots that you find.
- Cut the potatoes the same size and not too small.
- Add in sour cream or cream cheese to give it a creamier texture.
- Half and Half substitute: If you have heavy cream you can mix ¾ milk and ¼ c heavy cream. Whole milk is not quite as creamy as half and half, but can be used in a pinch.
- Don’t add the liquid all at once. Allow the potatoes to soak up some of the liquid before adding more.
- Over mixing the potatoes will cause them to become gluey.
FREEZE: Since the potatoes are fully cooked, they can be frozen. I like to freeze them in individual portions. Use an ice cream scoop and place each mound of potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place them in the freezer, once solid. Transfer place the solid potato ball in a fold top sandwich bag. Store the bags together in a freezer safe container. Reheat in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes or until hot.
Make these a day ahead of time and STORE it covered in the fridge. Heat before serving. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.
For more red potato recipes, check out:
- Garlic Red Mashed Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Buttery Parsley Potatoes
- Brown Sugar Glazed Red Potatoes
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Parmesan Potatoes
- Potato Au Gratin
- Crockpot Baked Potato Soup
Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes Recipe
- 8 medium red potatoes quartered
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¾ - 1 cup half and half warmed
- 1 - 2 tsp garlic salt with parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- fresh parsley (optional)
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
- Drain potatoes and place back in a pot.
- Add butter, half and half, garlic salt and pepper. Blend with hand mixer until it's the consistency you like.
- Stir in cheese and top with fresh parsley. ENJOY!