Simple and delicious baked parmesan potatoes are the perfect side dish, made from cubed potatoes coated in parmesan and a few simple seasonings.
A Simple Side + Oven roasted
This Parmesan Bakes Potato recipe is one of our most favorite ways to prepare potatoes. It takes just a few minutes to prep, and then you throw it in the oven for a bit. The result? Perfectly crisp and delightfully flavorful bites of potato. It’s the perfect companion to any main dish!
Just Coat & Roast!
Recipes don’t get much simpler than this. Just a couple steps is all it takes to get perfectly roasted parmesan potatoes.
CUBE. Dice and cube your potatoes. (Note: You can us regular russet potatoes as well but we tend to like red potatoes better.)
COAT. Place in a ziploc bag with oil and shake around. Add ranch and parmesan and shake around until well coated.
BAKE. Add foil or parchment paper to a baking sheet and add cooking spray. Spread potatoes on the foil and sprinkle with salt and garlic pepper. Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes.
Do I need to peel the potatoes? This is entirely up to you. Russet potatoes have thicker skin than red and yellow potatoes so many people prefer to peel them. However, you can leave the russet skin on. It’s full of vitamins and can give an extra crisp to the parmesan potatoes.
- Make sure you cut the potatoes the same size. This will ensure an even cook.
- Flip halfway during the bake time
- Use high heat
- Season with a little extra salt and pepper after baking
- Line pan with parchment paper
Make Them Crispy
How do I get crispy parmesan potatoes?
- Use the broiler: When there is a minute or two left turn the broiler on and place the potatoes closer to the top of the oven. Broil for 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully because they can go from crispy to charred very quickly.
- Soak in water: Once the potatoes have been cut, soak them in cold water for at least an hour. This will help remove some starch from the potato allowing them to be fluffy in the center and crisp on the outside.
- Don’t crowd the pan. Overcrowding does not allow for all sides of the potatoes to cook evenly and crisp up.
- Add a ½ to 1 tablespoon of cornstarch to the ziploc bag to help with crispiness.
These tips will ensure you get crispy potatoes every time!
Preparing Ahead of Time
Ahead of time? You can prepare them ahead of time in a few different ways.
- Prepare partway by cutting the potatoes and soak them in a bowl of water for up to 24 hours. Be sure all the potatoes are covered in water otherwise the potatoes exposed to air will turn brown. If you’re going to soak them for more than a couple of hours keep the bowl in the fridge. When you’re ready to bake, drain the water, pat dry, season and bake according to directions.
- Bake up to a day in advance. Keep the potatoes covered in the fridge. Re roast the potatoes in a hot oven for about 10 minutes to heat and crisp the back up. Flip them after 5 minutes. (this also works for leftovers)
- Bake the potatoes, cool and store in the freezer for 1-2 months. To reheat them place the potatoes on a baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees F for about 22 min or until hot and crisp
How do I prep the potatoes to store in the freezer?
You cannot freeze raw potatoes as they will turn black and mushy. So you will need to bake them before freezing. Once the potatoes cool, flash freeze them. You do this by putting the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Stick in the freezer for 2-3 hours. Once frozen place the potatoes in an airtight freezer safe container.
For more vegetable sides, try:
- Parmesan Crusted Zucchini
- Asparagus Bundles
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Green Bean Bundles
Parmesan Potatoes Recipe
- 4 red potatoes diced and cubed
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp ranch dry seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- dash garlic pepper
- Dice and cube your potatoes.
- Place in a ziploc bag with oil and shake around.
- Add ranch and parmesan and shake around until well coated.
- Add foil to a baking sheet and add cooking spray. Spread potatoes on the foil and sprinkle with salt and garlic pepper.
- Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes.