Asparagus bundles are wrapped in bacon for unmatched flavor perfection. These savory wrapped bundles will tantalize your taste buds, and are sure to be a BIG hit.
Not only do these tastes absolutely amazing, but they look fabulous! They make great side dishes to a dinner party or special event. For more tasty asparagus dishes try Asparagus & Tater Toss, Cream Cheese and Parmesan Asparagus, and Asparagus Salad.
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles
This recipe is one that quickly became a favorite. My mom tried this Asparagus Bundles Recipe from Trisha Yearwood, and the family immediately declared that it should be added to the regular side dish rotation. Yes, we’re pretty big fans of asparagus, and if you’ve ever had this recipe you would be too.
Not sure how much better it can get to wrap yummy bacon around an already yummy veggie. Seriously, my friends. I promise you will love these Asparagus Bundles if you give them a try. I have them on the menu for next week – YUM!
The recipe calls for butter, brown sugar soy sauce and more… how can you go wrong, right? 😉
The bright flavor of the asparagus pairs well with the salty deep flavors of the bacon.
To help ensure you pick the best asparagus, use these tips:
- Buy when they’re in season: They grow in early spring. Unless you live in a warm climate, like Arizona, then it’s still winter, but feels like spring.
- Look for a bundle where the buds on the spears of the asparagus are tight.
- Look for a bundle of medium sizes stalks
- Do not store in plastic. Store in an open brown bag in the crisper drawer or upright in a cup of water toward the front of the fridge for up to 10 days.
- Always wash them and trim the stalks before using
To trim the stalks: The base of the asparagus is typically tough and will need to be trimmed off. If you bend the asparagus, it will break at the tender part right where the thicker portion begins. You can also use a sharp paring knife and trim where the asparagus becomes thicker. The thicker portion may have slightly different color.
How to Make Asparagus Bundles
PREP. Preheat oven to 400. Separate asparagus into 12 bundles.
WRAP. Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each bundle and secure with a toothpick.
PLACE. Place bundles in a casserole dish.
COMBINE & BOIL. In a small pot, combine butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then pour over the asparagus bundles.
BAKE. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
You can also cook these bundles on the grill! Allow the wrapped asparagus to marinate in the sauce for 3-5 minutes. Heat the grill to 400ºF. Place a piece of tin foil down on the grill, lay the asparagus bundles on the tin foil, and grill for 20-25 minutes. If you have a vegetable tray for the grill you can use that instead of the foil.
Tips, Tricks, and Storing
How do I crisp up the bacon? If your asparagus bundles are finished cooking, but you’d like the bacon to be a little crispier, simply place them under the broiler for a couple of minutes. Watch closely so they do not burn.
Make ahead of time: You can prepare the bundles a day in advance, cover the dish with plastic wrap and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to bake them.
Storing leftovers: These bundles are best when eaten right after baking, but if you do have leftovers you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge. To warm them up simply stick them under the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully as they can quickly burn.
For more vegetable side dishes, try:
Asparagus Bundles Recipe
- 2 lbs fresh asparagus trim ends
- 12 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Separate asparagus into 12 bundles.
- Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each bundle and secure with a toothpick.
- Place bundles in a casserole dish.
- In a small pot, combine butter, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then pour over the asparagus bundles.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.