See for yourself why this 3 layer Magic Pumpkin Cake is so magical! It’s made up of a creamy pumpkin puree layer, a layer of yellow cake, and lastly a white chocolate pumpkin spice frosting topped with white chocolate shavings!!
Layered desserts not only look pretty, but usually have an irresistible combination of textures and flavors. This is one of our favorite layered pumpkin desserts, right up there with Pumpkin Lasagna and Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars!
Why is it so magic?
Hola!! It’s me, Lily!! Today’s recipe is Magic Pumpkin Cake. YUMMMMMY!! Even though I don’t love pumpkin, I reallllly liked this recipe. It has three delicious layers – a pumpkin layer, a fluffy cake layer, and pumpkin spice frosting layer.
This cake is called “magic cake” because the pumpkin layer sinks to the bottom while it’s baking. It’s really cool – kind of like a science experiment. My mom says it has something to do with the cake batter being really liquid-y, and the pumpkin layer being heavier and more dense.
You also bake it in the oven for a really long time compared to other cakes, and while it’s baking for so long, the pumpkin layer starts to sink down to the bottom. Neat, huh? Just like magic! If you like Pumpkin, you’ll love this recipe!
The pumpkin will sink to the bottom – it’s MAGIC!!
How to make it:
CAKE LAYER. Start out by preparing the yellow cake mix as the instructions say to on the box. Pour the cake batter into a greased 9×13 pan and set aside.
PUMPKIN. Then, make the pumpkin layer by mixing the pumpkin, evaporated milk, cream, eggs, and brown sugar in a medium bowl until it’s smooth. Pour all over the cake mix in the 9×13 pan.
BAKE. Bake for about an hour until it doesn’t jiggle in the middle.
FROSTING. While the cake is cooling, make the frosting by whisking together the white chocolate pudding mix, pumpkin pie spice, and milk until smooth. Then, fold in the Cool Whip and mix well. Spread the frosting over the cooled cake and top with white chocolate curls if you like!
Refrigerate until ready to serve.
STORING: Magic Pumpkin Cake can be made up to a day ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Cover leftovers and store in the fridge for up to a week.
- Remember, don’t mix the pumpkin batter with the cake batter. Just pour over the top.
- Once baked it may be hard to tell the the layers have switched. Don’t worry, trust the process, frost and enjoy!
- Chocolate curls are easiest to make with slightly softened chocolate. Use a vegetable peeler.
Be prepared for lots of Pumpkin and Halloween treats because we’re going to be making lots of them!! I hope you can come back again soon for more yummy treats from me.
For more pumpkin desserts, check out:
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Dip
- Pumpkin Delight
- Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake with Oreo Crust
- Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
- Gooey Butter Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars
Pumpkin Magic Cake Recipe
- 1 box yellow cake mix PLUS ingredients needed to make - eggs, water, oil
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 c evaporated milk
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1 box white chocolate instant pudding mix 3.4 oz
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 c cold milk
- 1 c cool whip
- white chocolate curls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare cake as instructed on package and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl add pumpkin, evaporated milk, cream, eggs, and brown sugar and whisk until smooth. Pour all over the cake mix in the 9x13 pan.
- Bake for an hour (or until it not longer jiggles in the middle).
- Let cool and make frosting by whisking together the white chocolate pudding mix, pumpkin pie spice and milk until smooth.
- Fold in Cool Whip and mix well.
- Spread over cooled cake and top with white chocolate curls.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from I Wash You Dry.