This Mississippi Mud Cake is a delicious homemade chocolate cake, topped with melted marshmallows and warm chocolate frosting.
I have many favorite chocolate recipes, like Chocolate Macarons, or Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, but nothing beats a delicious chocolate cake! This chocolate cake is pure bliss!
Chocolate + Marshmallow Goodness
Hey readers, this is Lauren, visiting again from Tastes Better From Scratch. I’m so excited to share this amazing recipe for Mississippi Mud Cake with you guys—I’m drooling just thinking about it.
This delicious mud cake supposedly originated in Mississippi. Not surprisingly the name came from the resemblance between the dense cake to the dark colored Mississippi river bank.
What’s better than a delicious homemade chocolate cake, with melted marshmallows and warm chocolate frosting on top? Um, nothing, in my opinion!! Serve it with a bowl of ice cream and you’re sure to have a lot new friends. 😉
How to Make Mud Cake
You can start with any chocolate cake, as long as it fits in a 9×13 pan. You can use a quick and easy box cake mix, an unfrosted cake from a bakery, or make your own homemade chocolate cake!
MARSHMALLOWS. Remove cake from oven and sprinkle marshmallows all over the cake, completely covering it. Return to oven (at 350 degrees F) for 2-3 minutes or until the marshmallows are just slightly puffed and melted.
FROSTING: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add milk and cocoa powder and whisk well. Cook for about 2-3 more minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and powdered sugar. Use an electric mixer to make the frosting smooth.
DRIZZLE. Drizzle warm frosting immediately over cooled cake.
CHILL. Refrigerate cake for for about 30 minutes or until frosting has set.
- Our recipe shouldn’t be too gooey, it may be moist from the frosting, but if you use mini marshmallows they shouldn’t spread and get super messy.
- If you don’t have mini marshmallows you can use kitchen scissors to cut up the jumbo ones. You can also use marshmallow spread, but that is definitely more gooey.
- Pour the frosting evenly all over and don’t forget the edges so that the cake can get moist underneath too.
- If you want to add some crunch you can add on chopped pecans, walnuts, almonds, peanuts
- Make it even more chocolatey by adding chocolate chips
Storage: You should be fine storing this at room temperature as long as it is tightly covered so that it doesn’t dry out. If you want to store it, covered, in the fridge that would be good too, especially in the summertime.
Freeze: You can freeze this yummy cake for later. Let it cool in the fridge for several hours before freezing. Wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and again with foil level and freeze for 1-2 months. Before serving make sure to let it thaw for about an hour.
For more Chocolate cake recipes, try:
- The Best Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Kansas City Dirt Cake
- The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake
- Better Than Anything Cake
Mississippi Mud Cake Recipe
- any chocolate cake baked in a 9×13″ pan
- 10.5 oz mini marshmallows
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Bake Chocolate Cake according to instructions. Remove cake from oven and sprinkle marshmallows all over the cake, completely covering it.
- Return to oven (at 350 degrees F) for 2-3 minutes or until the marshmallows are just slightly puffed and melted. Allow cake to cool completely before drizzling frosting on top.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add milk and cocoa powder and whisk well. Cook for about 2-3 more minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and powdered sugar. Use an electric mixer to make the frosting smooth.
- Drizzle warm frosting immediately over cake. Refrigerate cake for for about 30 minutes or until frosting has set. Store at room temperature.
This seriously looks AMAZING. Thanks so much for sharing Lauren!! For more amazing recipes from her, head over to Tastes Better from Scratch!
Oh my word! This looks incredible!!! I can’t wait to try it.
I have had the same sweet tooth problem! I seriously need something sweet after every meal.
Loved this cake, easy and so yummy. My husband loves chocolate and marshmallows so this was a big hit.
Love to hear that! I agree with your hubby! Love the combination! Thank you!
Cake is usually my least favorite dessert, but the “mud” topping really made this cake shine.
Wow, this cake was so soft & the frosting over the marshmallows was incredible! It just melts in your mouth!
I used to put marshmallows in my cake batter (when I was a kid) hoping to get results like this! They always just melted. 🙁 This is so much better! Wonderfully gooey and delightfully fudgy! Yum!!
Our family loved this Mississippi cake! Especially the marshmallows on top…I added extra because it’s our favorite. The rich frosting and warm cake is a match made in heaven!
This has always been my husband’s favorite recipe. Well he absolutely LOVED it! Thank you for sharing, I am definitely saving this!
A chocolate cake that will satisfy any craving. So over the top with the incredible frosting!
I’d love to rate this because the picture looked like what I wanted but just like this box, I can’t see it cause of the ads all over the page. Can’t even scroll down to see it😡
Sorry to hear of your frustration. The ads do help us to be able to continue providing free recipes on our site for our awesome readers. Thanks for being here. Hope you enjoy the recipe!