I may be slightly obsessed with Sugar Cookies. They are probably my favorite cookie of all, and I’m sure it has to be because there is a nice layer of delicious frosting on top. It may be the kid in me, but I simply LOVE a delicious and soft cookie covered in frosting and sprinkles!!
Over the years, my mom has tried so many recipes for sugar cookies and we have usually liked them all but we have definitely picked out our favorites. The one I am sharing today just happens to be one of those “favorites” and it’s not just because they are finger-looking delicious, but because they are really simple. As you see from the title above, these are No Roll Sugar Cookies (aka “Drop Sugar Cookies”) which means there is no rolling involved, you just plop the dough on the cookie sheet. Easy, right? I love that these don’t need to be rolled because I feel like Sugar Cookies can be a little crunchy if you roll them too thin, and in my mind Crunchy Sugar Cookies are a no-go. I need them soft and I can tell you right now that these cookies are SUPER soft and seriously so delicious!
Here’s the recipe:
No Roll Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour plus 2 tbsp
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In bowl or stand mixer cream shortening, butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and extracts and mix well.
- Combine baking powder, salt and flour in a separate bowl. Gradually add to the wet mixture until blended.
- Using cooking scoop, lightly roll dough ball in hands, place on parchment paper lined baking sheet and press top of cookies half way down.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- For frosting, beat butter until fluffy using a hand mixer. Add vanilla and milk. Blend lightly. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time.Texture should be solid but soft. Frost cookies.
Nothing better than a Frosted Delicious Sugar Cookie!!