Pistachio Salad dessert is always served at our family gatherings. With whipped cream and marshmallows, it’s always a hit!
Pistachio Pudding Salad
Looking for something yummy and different to bring to your next summer potluck? Pistachio pudding salad is it. It’s pretty much a dessert, but who said you can’t have dessert first??
Pistachio Salad goes by a lot of different names such as the Watergate salad, pistachio delight, green stuff, green fluff, green goop, green Jell-O salad, and pistachio mallow salad. Either way, it is so delicious!
How to Make Pistachio Jello Salad
This is a big pistachio salad which makes it great for taking to picnics and potlucks with friends. It serves about 12 people which is awesome! You’ll only need a FOUR ingredients to make this pistachio pudding salad:
- Crushed pineapple
- instant pistachio pudding mix
- frozen whipped topping
- mini marshmallows
COMBINE. Start by combing the drained canned pineapple and the dry pistachio pudding mix in a big bowl. Make sure your whipped topping is thawed because it will be easier to handle.
FOLD. Fold in the whipped topping and mini marshmallows to your pudding/pineapple mixture. Mix it all together until its well combined.
CHILL + SERVE. Cover it up and put it in the refrigerator to chill before serving. Put a dollop of whipped topping on top and sprinkle with some chopped pistachios for a extra touch.
Quickly thaw cool whip. Cool whip should thaw in the fridge over the space of about 4 hours.
- If you accidentally forgot about thawing it there are lots of different methods to use. Leave it on the counter for a max of 2 hours, the texture may not be as good but it is quicker than waiting for the fridge.
- Another method is using the defrost button on the microwave: defrost for 30 seconds and then stir, put in the fridge for 2-3 minutes and repeat until it is the right texture.
- The last method involves a large bowl of cold water. Let the cool whip container float in the water for 30-40 minutes, then it should be ready to use.
- The longer this salad is kept around the more likely it is for the cool whip to melt. To help avoid this I would recommend not letting it sit out at room temperature for very long, not even for more than 30 minutes.
- Drain and pat dry the pineapple to help keep it from adding too much added liquid to the salad.
- Make sure you use INSTANT pudding
- To get a fluffy texture make sure you fold in your cool whip, you don’t want to crush all of the air out of it.
VariationS + STORING
There are a lot of easy delicious easy to change up the salad:
- maraschino cherries
- mandarin oranges
- can of fruit cocktail
- sprinkle on coconut
- sprinkled on nuts like chopped pecans or walnuts
STORE covered tightly with plastic wrap, or keep in an airtight container. This salad only be good for about 3-4 days because sometimes the moisture from the pineapple likes to leak out and separate the cool whip by adding more water to the salad.
For Other holiday sides:
- Best Dinner Rolls
- Funeral Potatoes
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Pastry Wrapped Asparagus
- Strawberry Jello Pretzel Salad
Pistachio Salad Recipe
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple drained
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 8 ounces frozen whipped topping thawed
- 1/2 (10.5 ounce) package miniature marshmallows
- Combine drained pineapple and dry pistachio pudding mix in a large bowl. Fold in thawed whipped topping and marshmallows. Mix until well combined. Chill in refrigerate before serving.
Adapted from AllRecipes.com.