This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Simple Cranberry Salad has the perfect balance of sweet and tart. It’s a delicious side dish or refreshing dessert – great for holidays!
Easy Cranberry Salad is a sweet and tasty side to holiday dinners. Pair it with our favorite Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Yeast Dinner Rolls, Candied Sweet Potatoes, and Honey Glazed Carrots to complete the perfect meal!
A sweet holiday side
Whip this up for any holiday dinner, or just for fun! I like to purchase extra bags of cranberries and freeze them to use in recipes like this Apple Cranberry Salad throughout the year.
This salad is sweet, with just a hint of tart, and is so delicious!
Making Cranberry Fluff Salad
FRUIT. In a large bowl, mix chopped cranberries, crushed pineapple, mini marshmallows, apple, sugar, and salt.
WHIPPED CREAM. In another medium bowl, make whipped cream by beating whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
Fold whipped cream and chopped walnuts into the cranberry mixture.
CHILL. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Cranberries. Cranberries are small, hard fruit that pack quite a bit of tartness into their small round bodies. Use fresh or frozen cranberries for this recipe.
Chop the cranberries individually with a cutting knife, or toss them into a food processor and pulse until they are the desired size.
The tartness of the cranberries pairs well with the sweet whipped cream and marshmallows. However, to make them sweeter, toss the cranberries in sugar after chopping and let them sit for a couple of hours before whipping up the salad.
Whipped Cream. Making your own whipped cream is quite easy:
- Use a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer to whip the heavy cream.
- As the cream turns from a liquid into a fluffier texture test for doneness by lifting the beater up. The cream should rise and form a peak.
- If the peak falls back into the bowl it needs to be whipped longer. If the peak holds stiff it is ready to use.
Ready-made Cool Whip is a great alternative to making your own whipped cream.
Apples. Use any variety on hand. Green apples add a bit of tartness, but sweet apples work as well.
Pineapple. Feel free to chop up a fresh pineapple to use in the recipe.
Walnuts can be replaced with pecans, macadamia nuts, or almonds, or leave out all nuts.
Additions. Try adding coconut, sliced cherries, or mandarin oranges. Do not add too many or there won’t be enough cream to cover all the extras.
Garnish. Chop up a few more cranberries and apples and use them, along with a few marshmallows, to garnish the top of the salad.
Runny salad. Here are a few tips to avoid a runny salad:
- Chill the Cranberry Salad for at least an hour to help the ingredients set.
- Make sure a “stiff peak” texture is reached when whipping the cream.
- Be sure to drain the crushed pineapple thoroughly.
What to serve salad with:
This Cranberry Salad recipe makes a great side dish to serve at Thanksgiving dinner along with Roast Turkey or Christmas Dinner alongside Honey Glazed Ham. It can also be served as a refreshing dessert or snack.
Make ahead of time. Make this Cranberry Fluff Salad up to 8 hours before serving.
STORE. Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge. Leftovers should also be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days.
For more cranberry recipes:
- Cranberry Salsa
- Cranberry Brie Bites
- Fresh Cranberry Sauce
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
Cranberry Salad Recipe
- In a large bowl, mix chopped cranberries, crushed pineapple, mini marshmallows, apple, sugar, and salt.
- In another medium bowl, make whipped cream by beating whipping cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold whipped cream and chopped walnuts into the cranberry mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.