Simply tasty Candied Sweet Potatoes are caramelized in butter and brown sugar, making them a favorite side dish.
Candied Sweet Potatoes are glazed in butter and brown sugar. They’re one of our go-to side dishes for holidays and get-togethers and are simple and quick (similar to our Candied Carrots and Glazed Red Potatoes).
stove top candied sweet potatoes
With this new love for sweet potatoes, we wanted to candy them like our Glazed Carrots. We are so glad we gave it a try. This best Candied Sweet Potato is seriously delicious, with the perfect sweetness!
This dish is also called Candied Yams, but you’re still using sweet potatoes. Confused? Actual yams are not often sold in US grocery stores so in the US the two names are really referring to sweet potatoes. What is the difference between the two root vegetables?
- Sweet Potatoes have reddish skin and purple, white, or orange flesh. It has a sweet flavor.
- Yams have rough brown skin with pale flesh. They are neutral in flavor.
How to Make Candied Sweet Potatoes
PREP. Peel sweet potatoes and slice them into rounds.
COMBINE. Add all ingredients to a pan and bring to a boil.
COOK. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes without stirring. Cook on low for an additional 3-5 minutes stirring until potatoes are well coated and tender.
Cubed potatoes. Cut into ½-inch cubes or sticks.
Candied Sweet Potatoes are super simple and simply delicious, but cooking wakes up creativity and you may wish to try some yummy variations like:
- Stir in orange zest.
- Sprinkle with chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Marshmallows: Place the cooked yams in a casserole dish, top with mini marshmallows, then broil in the oven for a couple of minutes or until the marshmallows are toasted.
- Add spices like nutmeg or ginger.
Serving and Storing
Serve with: This recipe makes a great Thanksgiving side dish and pairs well with classic Turkey, but also tastes great with other dishes like Fried Chicken, Honey Glazed Ham, and Smothered Pork Chops. Keep the recipe handy to make all year long.
STORE in an air-tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pot. Add a bit of butter and cook until heated through.
FREEZE. Cool completely and place in a freezer-safe Ziploc bag for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave with a little butter if needed.
For more favorite veggie sides:
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Parmesan Roasted Potatoes
- Fried Zucchini
- Roasted Veggies
- Sweet Potato Casserole
More Collections: Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Add all ingredients to a pan and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes without stirring.
- Cook on low for an additional 3-5 minute stirring until potatoes are well coated.