Hot and cheesy squash casserole makes for the best holiday side dish! You’ll love this creamy vegetable casserole with a crunchy buttery topping.
Similar to our cheesy zucchini casserole, but made with yellow squash, this recipe is a great addition to your holiday side dishes. It’s one of our new favorite casserole recipes to make during the holidays!
Cheesy Easy Squash Casserole
Have you ever made a squash casserole? If not, now is your chance!
I promise it’s a hit with anyone who tries it. It’s super simple to make, cheesy, buttery, creamy, and crunchy. Add this to your holiday menu and you will not be disappointed. Everyone around the table will love it.
If you love squash, then you will definitely enjoy this dish. It’s packed with thinly sliced yellow squash, creamy cheeses, and a crunchy cracker topping. Something for everyone in this recipe!
how to make squash casserole
Yellow squash tastes amazing in casserole form. It cooks evenly and perfectly every time, and pairs great with the cheeses.
PREP & COOK SQUASH. Thinly slice the yellow squash in half pieces. After you’ve prepped the squash, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add the oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the squash and the butter. Cook them until the squash is soft- about 7-8 minutes.
ADD CHEESE. After the squash is soft, pour it into a large bowl. Stir in the parmesan cheese, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, sour cream, and the Italian seasoning. Add the garlic salt and pepper to taste.
Pour everything into a 9×13 greased baking pan. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheddar cheese on the top and set it aside while you prepare the ritz cracker topping.
ADD TOPPING. Add the crushed crackers into a gallon Ziploc bag. Add in the melted butter. Toss everything to coat the crackers. Spread it all evenly over the top of the casserole.
BAKE. Bake the casserole for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
squash casserole recipe Toppings + FAQ
The topping in this recipe is so tasty! It gives the dish that crunch that it needs.
Variations: You can add a little more cheese on top if you would like to make it extra cheesy. Feel free to add in other types of cheeses! You can also add in thinly sliced zucchini with the yellow squash for a little bit different flavor.
This is the perfect dish to make ahead of time to save precious cooking time on the day of Thanksgiving or another holiday meal. Make it a couple days ahead of time by preparing everything in the casserole dish. Keep it covered in the fridge. Prepare the topping separately and top it just before you’re ready to bake.
You can also freeze this dish until you’re ready to bake it.
For more squash/zucchini recipes:
- Spaghetti Squash
- Fried Zucchini
- Zucchini Boats
- Cheesy Zucchini Casserole
- Zucchini Chicken Alfredo Roll-Ups
Squash Casserole Recipe
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4-5 medium yellow summer squash thinly sliced and halved
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- garlic salt (with parsley flakes)
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers crushed medium to fine
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Add the oil in a large skillet set to medium heat. Add the squash and butter. Cook until soft about 7-8 minutes
- Pour the squash into a large bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, sour cream, Italian seasoning. Add garlic salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a 9x13 greased baking pan. Sprinkle the remaining ½ c of cheddar cheese on top. Set aside.
- Add the crushed crackers into a gallon Ziploc bag add the melted butter. Toss to coat the crackers. Spread evenly over the top of the casserole.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.