Hello Lil’ Luna readers! It’s me Natalie, from Life Made Simple. Today I’m sharing these summery sugar cookie fruit pizzas. They’re miniature versions of those gorgeous giant fruit pizzas you’ve seen all over Pinterest lately. Perfect for to take to parties, BBQ’s or just make for you and your family. I started off by whipping up a batch of one of my favorite sugar cookies. They’re thick and soft jumbo cookies, think lofthouse style. Then I added a sweetened cream cheese frosting on top. I couldn’t resist spreading a little Nutella on a few too.
Because we all know Nutella is pretty much amazing on anything. It’s fantastic with all of that fresh fruit!
Then I sliced up a bunch of fruit and layered it on top. You can get really creative and make any design you want using the fruit you have at home. This is a really kid-friendly recipe! They can flatten the cookies, frost the cookies and decorate them too! You can snack on the fruit as you go and use any extra frosting as a dip for later. I hope you’ll give these sugar cookie fruit pizzas a try, because they taste as good as they look! Yummy!
- 2 c. cake flour
- ½ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. sugar
- ½ c. (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- ¼ c. shortening
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- Cream cheese frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 c. powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- Variety of fruit, sliced
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream sugar, butter, and shortening until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes on medium-high. Add vanilla extract, almond extract and the whole egg. Mix, then add the egg white and mix until combined.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk together cake flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt. With mixing speed on low, gradually add dry ingredients until no flour pockets remain. Place dough in an air tight container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat, set aside.
- Using a large cookie scoop (#20- approximately 3½ tbsp.), create balls of dough, lightly roll on a floured surface so that it covers the ball of dough completely. Press each ball of dough flat so that it is ½" thick and about 2½ wide. Place 6 cookies onto each prepared baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 10-11 minutes (the cookies will still look soft in the centers, do not over bake) or until the cookies become firm on the edges. Remove and allow to cool for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, to make the frosting, beat all of the ingredients with a mixer until smooth.
- To assemble, spread the frosting or Nutella on top of the cooled cookies, then layer with fruit.
Thanks again Kristyn for having me!
For more delicious cookie recipes, be sure to check out:
Fruit Pizzas + Sugar Cookies = HEAVEN!
Seriously – I’m dying to try this recipe. Thanks, Natalie!
All of Natalie’s recipes are AMAZING! Here are a few others you can find on the site…
For all dessert recipes on the site go HERE.
For all recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!