Easy Homemade Baked Beans is a must-have at all of our BBQ’s. Everyone who tries it agrees it’s the best baked beans recipe!
A BBQ MUST-HAVe
My family LOVES to BBQ, which is a good thing for me because I LOVE BBQ foods. I didn’t always love it, but it’s my hubby’s favorite, and because of that we’ve had it more often, making me like it more.
Two recipes we ALWAYS have are my mom’s Potato Salad recipe (it’s the bomb.com!) and my aunt Georgie’s Baked Beans recipe. Everyone always expects these two items to be there, and they’re always gone before you know it because they are so stinkin’ good.
I must admit that I’ve never been a huge fan of baked beans until I had this recipe. They are just so good and go perfect with a summer outdoor BBQ!
How to make easy baked beans
I know some people make baked beans from scratch, but you know me—if there’s an easy (and still delicious) way to make a recipe, that’s the way I do it! Our baked beans recipe uses canned beans with a few additional ingredients.
CROCK POT. Combine all ingredients cook on low for 4 hours. Then, for the last hour, crack the lid open which allows the beans to thicken up.
The type of beans used will depend on what brand of canned Pork and Beans you buy! The beans in the pork and beans are typically some variety of Navy Beans. On the label, it might be under any of these names:
- pearl haricot bean
- boston bean
- white bean
- pea bean
How to thicken baked beans: These baked beans should become sweet and thick and delicious. If you find that the beans are too runny there are a few things that you can do.
- Remove the lid and allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
- Smash some of the beans and stir them.
- Add some tomato paste.
- Use a cornstarch slurry: In a separate bowl combine 1 tablespoon cold water and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Mix together and then stir it into the baked beans. Repeat if needed.
In the Oven
Place pork and beans, light brown sugar, dry mustard, bacon strips and ketchup in an oven safe dish. Stir and cover with baking lid or aluminum foil.
PREP + BAKE. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes.
Variations + Serving suggestions
Alternative ingredients: British baked beans are navy beans in a tomato sauce. U.S. baked beans take the recipe a little further and add pork (bacon) as well as molasses and brown sugar to make the sauce sweeter and thick. It may also include other ingredients like chopped onion, ketchup, red or green bell pepper, maple syrup and seasoned with garlic salt, black pepper, salt. Some easily variations of this recipe include:
- Use Molasses instead of, or combined with, brown sugar
- Replace the bacon with diced hot dogs or cubed ham
- Swap the ketchup for BBQ sauce
- Add sautéed onions and bell peppers.
- You can even spice it up with chili flakes.
- Adapt it to your tastes!
What to serve with?
Leftovers are just as good!
REHEAT: Place beans in a microwave safe dish heat for 90 seconds and stir. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until beans are hot. To reheat in the oven place beans in an oven safe dish. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the desired temperature. The amount of beans will affect the cook time.
FREEZE: Allow beans to cool completely. Place left overs in an airtight freezer safe container. Freeze for up to 6 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating.
Oh, man I LOVE Baked Beans when we BBQ!! I don’t know why for sure this recipe is my favorite, but it definitely beats any restaurant Baked Beans I have tried. Be sure to check it out and let me know what you think. 🙂
For more great side dishes, check out:
- Fried Zucchini Recipe
- Potato Salad Recipe
- Easy Pasta Salad
- Twice Baked Potaotes
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Skewers
- Slow Cooker Barbecued Green Beans
Homemade Baked Beans Recipe
- 2 30 oz cans pork and beans
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 6 slices uncooked bacon cut up
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Mix all ingredients together and put into a crock pot. Cook on LOW heat for 5 hours.
- For last hour, take the lid half off and let it continue to cook. Having the lid half off will allow it to thicken up. ENJOY warm.