Delicious Chili Verde Soup (aKA Green Chili Soup) filled with chicken, corn, avocado, cheese and more! It’s perfect all year round and is always a crowd pleaser.
Green Chili Soup
Some people are normal and only eat soup in the winter when the weather is cold. Well, I’m sure you’ve figured out by now that we’re not normal! We LOVE soup all year long. We have a few staple soups that are always good to make. And we also like to try new soup recipes. Today, I’m excited to share with you a new recipe we tried for Chili Verde Soup (from Bev Cooks) that we happen to love and will certainly add to our list of regulars.
This recipe is so flavorful and is filled with some of our favorite ingredients – corn, chicken, cilantro and avocados. The combination of these foods is fantastic and made for such a great soup.
How to make Green Chile Chicken Soup
This Chili Verde is simple. Begin by searing the marinaded chicken in some oil. Season both sides with cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside and let cool for about 5 minutes, then cube.
From there, heat up the salsa verde and chicken stock in a large pot, bringing it to a simmer. Add corn, hominy and chicken and simmer for a little longer. Garnish with your favorite toppings (like cilantro, avocado, cheese and sour cream), and you’re set!
The great thing about this soup is it’s FANTASTIC just how it is! Plus, it can be personalized and added to with your own personal favorite ingredients (like olives and tomatoes). Play around and let us know what worked for you.
For more chili recipes, check out:
Chili Verde Soup Recipe
- 1 tb olive oil extra-virgin
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (we like to marinate hours in Italian dressing for at least half a day)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 14.5 oz hominy drained and rinsed
- 11 oz corn drained
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 scallions finely sliced
- grated cheddar cheese
- avocado cubed
- sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add marinaded chicken to hot oil. Season both sides with cumin, chili powder and salt and pepper. Sear for 4-5 minute. Repeat to both sides of the chicken until cooked through. Set aside and let cool for about 5 minutes, then cube..
- In a large pot, heat up your salsa verde. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add your corn, hominy and chicken. Let simmer 5-10 minutes. Add the cilantro and scallions. Simmer another two minutes.
- Just before serving, garnish soup with avocado, cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and more cilantro.
Recipe adapted from Bev Cooks.