Celebrate a birthday or special day with these super-yummy Funfetti Pancakes! Light, fluffy, and loaded with sprinkles, these breakfast goodies will make your morning extra special!
Birthday Breakfast Celebration
Hi everyone! It’s Erin from Delightful E Made and today, I’m sharing a version of a recipe that I’ve been making for my family on special mornings – Funfetti Pancakes! My family adores pancakes, and these fun, colorful cakes are especially perfect for a birthday morning or any other morning you feel like celebrating!
They’re even great for holidays and can be changed up based on the sprinkles you use. Typically, we like to use Jimmies, which are soft sprinkles and work great in this recipe.
Trust us when we say there’s no other way to start your birthday off than with these fun pancakes!
How to make birthday pancakes
They’re super easy to make, using just a few simple ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry and fridge. The batter comes together quickly, and by stirring in rainbow sprinkles at the end, you’ll create some seriously pretty breakfast treats!
BATTER. In a medium mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients – flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix with a whisk until completely combined.
To the dry ingredients, add the milk, oil, egg and vanilla, and whisk together until smooth. Lastly, stir in the vanilla and sprinkles.
COOK. On a hot, greased griddle, ladle on the batter into 4″ pancakes. Once the cakes begin to bubble, its time to flip. Pancakes are done once each side is a golden brown.
Enjoy the pancakes right away while hot.
This recipe makes about 12-14, 4″ sized pancakes. These are great to wrap up, freeze and then reheat on busy mornings when you don’t have time to cook up a batch.
Should my batter have lumps? Absolutely yes! Find the happy place right between large lumps and no lumps. Overmixing will take away the fluffy texture we all love.
- Allow the batter to rest before cooking. This will give the gulten time to relax creating a soft pancake.
- Use the soft cylinder sprinkles (jimmies)
- Be sure the pan is the right temperature; about 375 degrees. Too hot and the outside will burn before the centre is done. Too cold and the pancake will become tough.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also wrap these in plastic wrap, freeze and reheat.
Cooking & flipping pancakes
How do I keep the pancakes from sticking to the pan?
- Use a heavy pan. Thin pans don’t distribute heat very evenly causing the pancakes to stick. If you make pancakes on a consistent basis I’d suggest investing in an electric griddle.
- Use butter or cooking spray. Since pancakes absorb the butter be sure you add just a little butter as needed.
When should I flip the pancakes? Here a few pancake flipping tips:
- When the edges start to cook AND the center batter bubbles.
- You can take a peek at the underside to see if it has started turning a beautiful golden brown.
- You should only flip once so don’t flip too soon.
- The second side will cook faster than the first.
- Do not press down on the pancake. It will not help it cook faster and only serves to flatten them.
How do I keep pancakes warm? Keep pancakes warm by placing them on a baking sheet in a 200 degree F oven. Do not cover them as the steam will make them soggy. Only keep them in the oven for about 30 minutes before they begin to dry out.
Shape it up! Have some fun with the shape of the pancakes your kids will love it! You can invest in pancake mould which are like cookie cutters. You can also put the batter in a squeeze bottle and create your own shapes such as the child’s initials, hearts, squares, Mickey Mouse, and easy animals like fish.
Celebrate Any Occasion
I’ve also made these pancakes for the first day of summer vacation, first day of school, Father’s Day, and many snow day mornings. (We’ve had several already this winter!) They seem to immediately brighten the morning and put a smile on your face – I firmly believe sprinkles can have that effect! 😉
The next time you want to celebrate a special day, or when someone in your family is celebrating a birthday, mix up these easy Funfetti Pancakes – they’re sure to bring smiles to everyone’s face!
For more pancake recipes, check out:
Funfetti Pancakes Recipe
- 2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles plus more for topping
- whipped cream
In a medium mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Mix with a whisk until completely combined. To the dry ingredients, add the milk, oil, egg and vanilla, and whisk together until smooth. Lastly, stir in the vanilla and sprinkles.
On a hot, greased griddle, ladle on the batter into 4" pancakes. Once the cakes begin to bubble, its time to flip. Pancakes are done once each side is a golden brown. Enjoy the pancakes right away while hot. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also wrap these in plastic wrap, freeze and reheat.