Monte Cristo sliders are the ultimate sweet and salty party food! Everything you love about a Monte Cristo sandwich – cheese, turkey, ham, and powdered sugar – but in appetizer form.
Mini Monte Cristo Sandwiches
I LOVE a good Monte Cristo sandwich (like this one from our website!). So when I saw the recipe for these mini sandwiches, I knew I had to try them. What’s not to love about a salty/sweet sandwich on a fluffy roll dusted with powdered sugar? Their smaller slider size makes it easy to just have one or two as an appetizer or more for a full meal. All of the classic ingredients and flavors are in these mini versions – just a little easier to eat.
Talk about the perfect party food! Just pop these into the oven before your guests arrive and you have the tastiest appetizer or dinner idea! These won’t last long with a hungry bunch. Perfect for all of your holiday parties and get togethers. You can only have so much leftover turkey…
How to Make Monte Cristo Sliders
These Monte Cristo sliders are as good as they are EASY to make. You’ll need to start with a 2 packages of 12 sweet dinner rolls. You can find these at pretty much any grocery store – brand name or generic are both great options!
Take the rolls out of the package – but don’t separate them! Using a serrated knife, slice all of the rolls in half horizontally. Then repeat with the second package. Place both of the bottoms of the rolls side by side in a 9×13 inch baking pan that is foil-lined and lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
Layer the ham, turkey, and cheese slices evenly over the bottoms of the rolls. Place the roll tops over the cheese layer. In a bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter and dijon mustard until mixed together. Pour this mixture evenly over the tops of the rolls. Make sure to cover each one!
Making sure the foil doesn’t touch the rolls, make a tent out of foil to cover the rolls. Put them into the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove the foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
After the cooking time is done, remove the sliders from the oven and let them cook in the pan for 15 minutes. Don’t forget to dust them with powdered sugar (the yummiest part!) before serving immediately.
Tips for Making Monte Cristo Sliders
Can these be made ahead of time? These can for sure be made ahead of time if you need it. Just assemble everything together but stop before pouring the egg/butter/dijon mustard mixture on top. Keep the sandwiches covered in the fridge for up to a couple of days. When you’re ready to serve them, make the egg/butter/dijon mustard mixture and pour it on top, pop them into the oven to bake, and serve!
Can you change these up with different meats and cheese? Yes! Just fill with your favorite meats/cheeses of choice. You also do not need to use deli sliced meats, although they are easier to work with.
Often served with a raspberry sauce/jam, you can serve this with your sliders or serve it plain. Either way the combo of the savory meats and cheeses with the sweet bread and powdered sugar is one that has to be tried!
We know this recipe with be a huge hit with all of your holiday and/or party guests!
For more party appetizers check out:
Monte Cristo Sliders Recipe
- 24 sweet dinner rolls
- 1/2 lb deli-sliced honey ham
- 1/2 lb deli-sliced smoked turkey
- 1/2 lb sliced swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 TB dijon mustard
- powdered sugar
- Remove rolls from packaging, and without separating them, use a serrated knife to slice in half horizontally. Repeat with second package. Place both bottom portions of rolls side-by-side in a lightly sprayed, foil lined, 9x13 baking pan.
- Evenly layer ham, then turkey, then cheese slices over the rolls. Place the top portion of the rolls over the cheese layer.
- In a bowl, whisk together melted butter, egg and dijon mustard until well combined. Evenly pour over the tops of rolls, covering each one. Tent a piece of foil over the rolls, making sure the foil does not touch the tops of the rolls. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool for 15 minutes before removing rolls from pan. Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.