Making homemade peppermint ice cream is a favorite Christmas tradition! It’s creamy with the perfect amount of peppermint flavor and crushed peppermint candies.
‘Tis the Season!
Hi Lil Luna readers! It’s Tanya again from Lemons for Lulu! Today I’m sharing one of my favorite ice cream recipes! I know this isn’t exactly ice cream “season”, but this is a fabulous seasonal treat that is sure to be a hit with your family.
There are certain things I HAVE to make each Christmas. Buckeye balls, coconut balls, mint cookie, crinkle cookies, mint squares and this peppermint ice cream. Indulging in this peppermint ice cream is just as much of a tradition as making reindeer food and gingerbread houses! The family would banish me if I didn’t make at least two batches of this peppermint ice cream, it’s that good!
How to Make Peppermint Ice Cream
This ice cream recipe is so easy. This is the base I use for almost all my homemade ice cream recipes. Typically, I mix it up in my blender then chill it for up to 24 hours. This allows the flavors to blend and the mixture to thicken. The thicker the mixture, the creamier the ice cream.
I use two parts heavy cream to one part half and half in this ice cream. Using more cream makes this ice cream richer. You could certainly do the reverse if you prefer, the texture will be different, but the flavor will be just as good.
MIX + CHILL. Combine all ingredients (besides candies) in a blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate mixture for at least one hour and up to 24 hours.
ICE CREAM MAKER. Using an ice cream maker, prepare ice cream according to manufacture’s direction, adding crushed candies during the last 5 minutes.
FREEZE. Pour ice cream into a freezer safe container. Freeze until set.
Tips for ice cream makers:
- Be sure you use PEPPERmint Extract and not just Mint.
- Use high quality ingredients.
- Use full fat cream
- Don’t overfill the ice cream machines bowl. If you have extra mixture, just store it in a container in the fridge until you can churn it.
- Use ROCK salt not other types of salt.
- Keep extra rock salt and ice around. You use more than you think.
No ice cream maker? No problem!
- Pre-chill a glass or metal bowl in the freezer.
- Pour the prepared peppermint ice cream mixture (that has been chilling in the fridge) into the cold bowl.
- Place the bowl of cream into the coldest section of your freezer. Allow it o freeze until thickened but still stirrable.
- Once thick stir the cream every 30 minutes and then put it back into the freezer. The stirring will help the mixture stay aerated and creamy. Be sure to stir quickly so that none of the cream melts.
- Repeat Step 4 for the next 3-4 hours or until the cream has become the right consistency.
Mix-Ins, Troubleshooting, and Storing
Mix-Ins: Plain peppermint ice cream is absolutely delicious, but you can easily jazz it up with some yummy mix isn. Make sure you do not add them until the ice cream base has started to freeze. If you don’t want to mix them into the ice cream you can have them served on the side to use as toppings.
- Crushed plain or peppermint Oreo cookie
- Mini M&Ms
- Mini chocolate chips
- Brownie bits
- White Chocolate Chips
Why are there Ice Crystals? There are a couple of main reasons that ice Crystals form. First, you have added too much water to the main mixture. Make the recipe as written and do not adjust the ingredient amounts such as using less sugar or using fat free dairy if the recipe calls for full fat.
Second, is because it takes too long for the ice cream to cream and freeze. When it takes too long the cream melts and can refreeze with ice crystals.
Storage: For best results only store homemade ice cream in the freezer for 3-4 weeks. Homemade ice cream tends to melt a lot faster than store bought so be careful how long you let it sit out while scooping it.
My advice to you is to stock up on peppermint candies. Once your family tries this ice cream, you’ll be asked to make it again and again!
For more peppermint recipes, check out:
- Peppermint Chocolate Delight
- Peppermint Milkshake
- White Chocolate Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- Peppermint Chip Layer Cake
Peppermint Ice Cream Recipe
- Combine all ingredients (besides candies) in a blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate mixture for at least one hour and up to 24 hours.
- Using an ice cream maker, prepare ice cream according to manufacture’s direction, adding crushed candies during the last 5 minutes.
- Pour ice cream into a freezer safe container. Freeze until set.