Yesterday I shared my mom’s recipe for Heavenly Rolls – our favorite!
Today, I’m sharing another great recipe from my mom… Homemade Dinner Rolls! She’s only made these a few times compared to the Heavenly Rolls, but we loved them too and wanted to make sure we shared so you had more than one option for Thanksgiving coming up.
I know it’s sometimes easier to go to the store and just pick up a big bag of rolls from Sams or Costco, but they do not taste the same. Yeah, they’re good, but these homemade rolls are DELICIOUS!!
If you have the time and are wanting to go homemade, I definitely recommend giving these a try.
These are perfect with butter or jam, and would be perfect for your Thanksgiving Meal!
Here is the Dinner Rolls Recipe:
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 TB sugar
- 3 envelopes active dry yeast .25 ounces
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 TB salt
- 10 cups flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup shortening
- ¼ cup butter melted
- In a large bowl, mix water and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the top and let set for 10 minutes until yeast is foamy.
- Mix milk, eggs and salt into yeast mixture using a whisk.
- In a separate bowl mix flour and sugar. Crumble shortening in and mix until it is barely noticeable.
- Mix flour mixture into yeast mixture with a wooden spoon. Using your spoon, mix until dough pulls away from the spoon and ball forms around the spoon.
- Cover bowl with a tea towel and let rise in a warm spot (we put ours under the oven lights on the stove). Cover until dough is doubled in size (about an hour).
- When dough has risen pour butter over it and knead with hands for 2 minutes. Let dough rest for a few minutes.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface to a 1" thickness. Using a pizza cutter, cute into 2" squares.
- Roll squares into balls and place into a greased round pan about 1" apart from each other. Cover with a tea towel and let rise again until dough as doubled in size (45 minutes to an hour).
- Bake at 400 for about 12 minutes. Butter the tops when they come out.
- NOTE: You can refrigerate if not making them right away. Let rise over nigh for the next day.
They look scrumptious, don’t they?!
For more Side dish options be sure to check out:
Stay tuned til Monday for a great collection of Side Dishes perfect for Thanksgiving!!
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter.