Every Christmas dinner needs delicious sides to complete it. Salads, vegetables, potatoes, or breads—this collection of Christmas Side Dishes has it all!
Tips for Christmas dinner sides
How much to make: The perfect ending to Christmas day is around the dinner table with loved ones and delicious food. You do not want to run out. The following information can help guide you in how much to make.
- Potato dish: plan 6 oz per person
- Vegetable dish: plan 4 oz per person
- Rolls: 1 ½ rolls per person
- Pasta: about 1/2 cup per person
- Salad: ½-1 cup per person
Make ahead of time: After a busy day of gifts and fun you may not want to spend a lot of time cooking in the kitchen. Incorporating dishes that can be made ahead of time will make dinner prep run smoothly and quickly. The individual recipes have more information on how to make ahead of time and how to store leftovers.
Keeping Sides Hot: Even if you’re able to make the Christmas side dishes ahead of time at some point some sides will need to get heated and kept hot until everything is all ready to serve. Here are a few options you can use to help keep your food hot:
- A cooler: Not just for keeping food cold. Its insulation will also help retain heat. Cover the pots and pans with a lid or foil and stack them inside. (Be sure that they don’t smoosh the food underneath)
- A crock pot set to low or warm.
- Use an insulated food carrier
- Chafing Dishes
Christmas Salad Recipes
Green salads or fruit salad both are a delicious addition to Christmas dinner. They balance out some of the heavier dishes and add color and flavor.
- Spinach and Tortellini Salad – A cold salad made with tortellini, spinach, tomatoes, olives, and parmesan cheese all tossed in an Italian dressing.
- Brussel Sprout Salad – Shredded brussel sprouts, pomegranate seeds, and sliced almonds in an oil and vinegar dressing.
- Tortellini Salad – Romaine lettuce combined with tortellini, tomatoes, and bacon bits with ranch dressing.
- Waldorf Salad – Salad filled with grapes, apples, celery, walnuts, cheese and chicken tossed in a homemade poppyseed dressing.
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad – Sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil drilled with a balsamic glaze. Simple, light, and delicious.
- Homemade Caesar Dressing and Croutons – An easy Caesar dressing made from scratch and homemade croutons. Simply pair it with chopped romaine for a delicious Caesar salad.
- Pistachio Salad – Crushed pineapples and mini marshmallows mixed in with whipped topping and pistachio flavored pudding.
- Easy Fruit Salad – A simple and colorful fruit salad made from berries, pineapple, kiwi, and grapes.
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad – Layered dessert made from a pretzel crust, cream cheese layer and strawberry jello topping.
- Ambrosia Salad – Strawberries, pineapple, cherries, clementines, mini marshmallows, and shredded coconut all mixed together in a sweet whipped cream topping.
Christmas Vegetable Side Dishes
No meal in complete without a side of vegetables. Thankfully I have an assortment of delicious veggie recipes that adults and kids will like.
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots – A quick and easy side dish made with carrots, butter, and brown sugar.
- Green Bean Bundles – Handfuls of green beans wrapped in a slice of bacon, lightly covered in butter, brown sugar, and garlic salt and baked to perfection.
- Baked Zucchini Fries – Zucchini sticks baked to a crisp with a flavorful bread crumb and Parmesan crust.
- Crock Pot Creamed Corn – Corn kernels smothered in a a delicious cream sauce cooked easily in the crock pot.
- Sheet Pan Oven Roasted Vegetables – It takes less than 10 minutes to prepare these delicious vegetables to be roasted in the oven. They come out perfectly crisp and flavorful.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Skewers – Asparagus wrapped in bacon and cooked on the grill—deliciously flavorful and crispy.
- Brussel Sprouts with Bacon – Perfectly crisp on the outside, and melt-in-your-mouth on the inside, these brussel sprouts taste delicious cooked with pieces of bacon.
christmas potato recipes
From Russet to Red, or even Sweet, potatoes make a filling and delicious side that will compliment any Main dish.
- Baked Parmesan Potatoes – Cubed potatoes seasoned with olive oil, parmesan cheese, ranch dry mix, garlic pepper, and salt.
- Easy Twice Baked Potatoes – Baked potatoes hollowed out and loaded with sour cream, cheese, bacon, and seasoning before being placed back in the skins and baked again.
- Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes – Cheesy garlic mashed potatoes made in the crockpot.
- Funeral Potatoes – A casserole dish made from cubed hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, lots of cheese, and buttery crispy corn flakes on top.
- Crock Pot Scalloped Potatoes – Thinly sliced potatoes, cream, cheese, and seasonings combined and cooked to perfection in the crock pot.
- Oven Roasted Red Potatoes – Crispy seasoned baby red potatoes, made from just oil and a few seasonings.
- Baked Sweet Potato Cubes – Cubed sweet potatoes seasoned with parmesan cheese and garlicy seasonings, then baked to a crisp.
- Candied Sweet Potatoes – Soft sweet potatoes mixed with butter, brown sugar, water, salt and pepper.
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes – Buttery smooth mashed sweet potatoes flavored with maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, and butter.
Christmas dinner rolls, Breads + more
Rolls, stuffing and cheesy pasta you’re craving for the delicious carb with certainly be satisfied. And who doesn’t include rolls as some of their Christmas side dishes?! Exactly what I thought – you need them!
- Stuffing – Homemade stuffing made with sourdough bread, onion, celery, and lots of delicious seasonings.
- Dinner Rolls – This recipe makes 30 soft and tender traditional style dinner rolls. Great for feeding a crowd!
- Heavenly Dinner Rolls – Soft and buttery rolls rolled into a crescent shape.
- French Bread – A loaf of soft french bread with a perfectly crispy crust.
- Buttery Bread Knots – Tasty bread knots smothered in butter and flavored with Italian seasoning.
- Copycat Texas Roadhouse Rolls – Just like the favorite recipe from Texas Roadhouse, these rolls are soft and puffy clouds of deliciousness.
- Homemade Mac and Cheese – Macaroni pasta covered in sharp cheddar cheese, melted into a warm cream sauce, and topped with a perfect panko crust
All of these Christmas Sides will be perfect for your Christmas Dinner. Enjoy!