Every Christmas party needs an assortment of tasty appetizers. This round up includes all the best appetizers—ones that are easy to make ahead, healthy, made in the crock pot, and appetizers that are always crowd favorites!
Best Christmas Party Appetizers
Appetizers that work on Super Bowl Sunday also work on Christmas Day. You can’t go wrong picking appetizers that your family loves. Try to offer a mix of warm and cold, heavy and light, proteins and produce. If you can, try to incorporate different colors and textures as well.
How many Appetizers to Plan For:
- When serving appetizers before Christmas Dinner you will only need to plan for about 3-5 pieces per person.
- When the appetizers are the main food at a Christmas Party you’ll need to plan to serve about 10-12 pieces per person for a two hour party. Add about 5 more pieces per person for every hour after.
- If you have fewer than 10 guests offer 2-3 different types of appetizers. If you are having more than 10 guests add another dish for every 5-8 more people.
- Choose appetizers that are easy to make as well as ones that can be made ahead of time. Practice new recipes beforehand so you can work out any kinks.
- If you’re serving appetizers before dinner don’t forget to include cooking and reheating time to your Cooking schedule.
- Don’t hesitate to ask guests to bring appetizers to help ease your to do list.
- Divide the appetizers on to several plates or tiers and have them placed in various areas around the room. Include plates, napkins and utensils at each station.
- If you’re having one central serving area be sure to place larger and taller items, such as crock pots and tiers in the back. Place smaller and shorter items, like cutting board displays, near the front of the table.
- Use holiday themed table decorations and serving dishes to dress up your table.
make ahead Christmas appetizers
I know holidays—and especially preparing for holiday gatherings—can be hectic and busy! Ease the stress by making some of your appetizers ahead of time. Any of these recipes are great options.
- Deviled Eggs – Hard boil some eggs and turn the cooked yolks into a delicious creamy filling by mixing with sauces and seasonings.
- Homemade Bruschetta – The bruschetta mixture (made with tomatoes, garlic, oil, basil, and parmesan cheese) can be prepared in advance and stored until you’re ready to scoop it onto slices of toasted bread.
- Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball – Everyone loves a good cheeseball! Keep this bacon covered cheeseball in the fridge for up to a day or two before serving with crackers and vegetables.
- Homemade Hummus – Another favorite dip that is not only tasty, but healthy, with a chickpea base. It comes together in literally minutes using your trusty blender!
- Veggie Tortilla Roll Ups – Take your favorite veggies—we use bell peppers, green chiles, olives, and green onions—and roll it up inside a tortilla with creamy ranch dip.
- 7 Layer Bean Dip – Seven layers of goodness including refried beans, guacamole, taco seasoned sour cream, shredded cheese, tomatoes, olives, green onions, and anything else your heart desires!
Healthy Christmas appetizers
Most of our favorite appetizers are extra cheesy, fried, and full of calories. But that doesn’t mean we don’t have some favorites that are on the healthy side! These few appetizers are lighter, full of veggies, and lower in calories.
- Christmas Tree Veggie Platter – A cute and festive vegetable platter shaped like a Christmas tree, complete with a star on top!
- Buffalo Cauliflower – Crispy, breaded, and baked bites of cauliflower smothered in buffalo sauce. No one will notice they’re actually healthy because they taste so good!
- Veggie Cup Appetizers – Easy cups filled with dip and veggies
- Caprese Kabobs – Cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella balls on a kabob, drizzled with a balsamic glaze.
- Baked Chicken Wings – These chicken wings are baked instead of fried, making them a little lighter. Use whatever sauce you like to flavor them.
- Baked Zucchini Fries – Zucchini sticks coated in a light breadcrumb coating and baked instead of fried. They are crunchy, crispy, and flavorful!
easy christmas appetizers
Some of these recipes are traditionally made in the oven or on the stovetop, but they can also be made in the crockpot. You might have to scroll through the individual post to find the instructions, but they’re there! Thank goodness for crockpots and not having to be entirely hands on with a recipe!
- Crock Pot Meatballs – Dump a bag of frozen meatballs into the crockpot with a handful of sauces and seasonings, and a few hours later you’ll have yourself a tasty savory appetizer.
- Hamburger Queso Dip – A cheesy and meaty dip with just a slight kick to it. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip – Creamy and cheesy dip with all the flavors of buffalo wings—made with shredded chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch, and shredded cheese. Bleu cheese optional!
- Bacon Wrapped Smokies – This ever-popular appetizer can easily be cooked in the crockpot by layering the smokies and brown sugar. Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.
- Grape Jelly Meatballs – Just 3 ingredients and made in the slow cooker. Can’t get easier than that!
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – Filled with spinach, artichoke hearts, cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, and mayo, this hot dip is a favorite. Eat it with pita chips, tortilla chips, bread slices, or veggies.
- Asparagus Rolls – Asparagus wrapped in puff pastry and baked to perfection.
more Christmas appetizer ideas
These recipes are all appetizers that are long standing favorites. We’ve made them for all kinds of holidays, game days, parties, and get togethers, and every time they are winners. Rest assured, your guests will enjoy these appetizers at your Christmas party.
- Bacon Cheddar Pin Wheels – This is a great recipe to use if you’re serving exclusively appetizers without a big meal. They’re more on the hearty side, made with bacon and cheddar cheese wrapped into crescent dough.
- Pulled Pork Cups – Hash brown cups filled with the yummiest pulled pork and topped with sour cream and chives.
- Fried Macaroni and Cheese – A Cheesecake Factory copycat recipe, these delicious appetizers are made up of breaded and fried balls of macaroni and cheese.
- Spinach Cheese Puffs – Puff pastry appetizers filled with spinach, bacon bits and feta.
- Fried Zucchini – Slices of zucchini breaded and fried to perfection. They taste especially amazing dipped in ranch or marinara.
- Bacon Wrapped Potatoes – Baby potatoes wrapped in bacon and baked to a crisp. With just a little sprinkling of salt, the flavor of these bites are to die for.
- Cranberry Brie Bites – Bite sized appetizers filled with brie, cranberry and nuts.