Soups are an obsession this time of year!
I make them so often that you could almost call it a hobby. I think I enjoy them so much because they remind me of weather cooling down and that the holidays are approaching. And I LIVE for the holidays! Definitely my favorite time of year.
It wasn’t too long ago that I spotted a recipe on Pinterest from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe that I knew I had to try. It’s called Loaded Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup. The name alone makes you want to try it, right?! When you know it has broccoli, cheese and potatoes you know it’s going to taste great and let me tell you – IT DID!! It was so hearty and delicious that I think the hubby sneaked a few bowls. I may have too. 😉
The soup ends up pretty thick making it almost a chowder, but it can be made more soup-y by adding more broth or milk. I liked it thick so I kept it as it was. If you love flavorful soups then you’ll definitely want to try this one. Broccoli and Cheese Soups are always good but with the potatoes and extra
- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans chicken broth
- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed into small pieces
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 small heads broccoli (washed and diced small)
- 3 TB butter
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3½ cups milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic pepper
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- In a large pot combine chicken broth, carrots potatoes and onion powder.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- While simmering, melt butter in a large sauce pan. Whisk in the flour and cook for another minute (or until golden brown). Whisk in milk and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Add cheese and stir until it is all melted. Add salt and garlic pepper.
- Pour cheese sauce into the large pot and stir until well combined.
- Add more milk for a thinner consistency and add any additional salt and pepper needed. Top with bacon pieces.
- Serve warm.
Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
You can easily change up the veggies depending on what you like most. 😉
And if you love bacon you might want to add a few more slices. 😉
Wishing I had a bowl of this right now as I type!!
Head to Mel’s Kitchen Cafe for more great recipes – she has loads of them!
For more favorite soup recipes, check out:
I think I could eat soup EVERY night!
For all soup recipes on the site go HERE.
For all recipes go HERE.
And get weekly emails with monthly freebies by signing up for the Lil’ Luna newsletter. 🙂
Don’t miss a thing – Sign up for the Lil’ Luna Newsletter today!
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my latest ebook!