These cheesecake brownies are next level, with a delicious cream cheese and white chocolate layer sandwiched between two rich layers of brownie.
There are so many ways to add a little extra something to your brownies! This cream cheese version is delicious, but you also need to try Oreo Brownies, S’mores Brownies, and Cookie Dough Brownies.
cream cheese Brownies
Who loves BROWNIES?! The chocolate-y treats are one of my “go-to” desserts when company comes over, so I like to have several different brownie recipes on hand.
When my family saw a recipe for Cheesecake Brownies (aka Cream Cheese Brownies), they decided to give them a try. Let’s just say I’m so glad they did because this recipe was GREAT!! Let me tell you why…
- Brownies on their own are simply delicious!
- A cheesecake layer in between means you can’t go wrong!
- White chocolate chips in the Cheesecake layer make them even better!
SEE! You really can’t go wrong with this recipe. There are a few more steps than the brownies in a box, but I promise they won’t disappoint. If you’re looking for a way to elevate an already delicious dessert, I definitely suggest trying this recipe!
How to Make Cheesecake Brownies
Preheat oven to 350.
CREAM CHEESE MIXTURE. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar and 1 egg and beat until smooth. Stir in 1 cup white chocolate chips until well combined. Set aside.
BROWNIE BATTER. On the stove, fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and set a heatproof mixing bowl over the water. In the mixing bowl, combine butter and milk chocolate chips; stir until it’s just melted and blended together. Mix in the remaining ½ cup sugar and 2 eggs.
In a separate bowl, mix your flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into your chocolate mixture until evenly blended.
LAYER. Pour half of your batter into a greased 9×9 baking pan. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the chocolate layer. Top with remaining chocolate mixture. Swirl the top chocolate layer into the cream cheese to make a marble pattern.
BAKE. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is crinkled and center is cooked through. Let cool. ENJOY!
Bake time tips: The worst thing is anticipating a delicious treat only to remove it from the oven far from the expected result. Unfortunately, is can be hard to pinpoint exactly why a recipe worked for one person and not the other. Here are a few more common tips to keep in mind when baking:
- Glass and dark metal pans take longer to bake.
- Using a different pan size than the one suggested. Smaller sized pans require extra bake time. Larger sized pan need less bake time.
- Making your own adjustments to the ingredients. Baking is a science and any change to the recipe can result in an unexpected outcome.
- Elevation and weather can affect baked items.
- The toothpick test: don’t wait until the toothpick comes out clean. This means your brownies have been over cooked. When stuck in the center the toothpick should have some crumbs stuck to it.
- Allow the brownies to cool and set. The brownies will continue to bake right out of the oven and set as they cool.
Can I use a box mix? The cheesecake layer is best when paired with the homemade brownie as listed in the recipe, but you can use a box brownie mix. You will get a different texture, but it will still taste delicious. Also, I suggest finding a brownie mix that is baked in a 9X9 pan.
cheesecake brownie Tips and Tricks
Add even more flavor: I typically make these brownies as written, but you can add other flavors to the recipe to change them up a bit.
- Drizzle caramel or chocolate over the top of the brownies
- Add chopped nuts, chocolate chips (milk or white), or crushed Oreos to the top before baking
- Make them Minty: Use green food coloring in the cream cheese mixture, add ½ teaspoon mint extract to the brownie mixture and top with chopped Andes mints then bake.
- Peanut Butter: Add ¼-½ cup peanut butter to the cream cheese layer and top with chopped Reese’s cups or peanut butter chips before baking.
STORAGE: Brownies generally store really well and these are no different. Store the brownies in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. You can either wrap the entire block up or wrap the individual pieces. Wrap in plastic wrap then again with aluminum foil, or place the wrapped pieces in a freezer Ziploc.
Um – yeah… cheesecake brownies (aka cream cheese brownies) are delicious! I admit that I usually serve ice cream with traditional brownies, but these guys are great on their own!! And can we all agree everything is better with cream cheese?!!
For more great brownie recipes, check out:
Cheesecake Brownies Recipe
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar and 1 egg and beat until smooth.
- Stir in 1 cup white chocolate chips until well combined. Set aside.
- On the stove, fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and set a heatproof mixing bowl over the water. In the mixing bowl, combine butter and milk chocolate chips; stir until its just melted and blended together. Mix in the remaining ½ cup sugar and 2 eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix your flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into your chocolate mixture until evenly blended.
- Pour half of your batter into a greased 9x9 baking pan. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the chocolate layer. Top with remaining chocolate mixture. Swirl the top chocolate layer into the cream cheese to make a marble pattern.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is crinkled and center is cooked through. Let cool. ENJOY!
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.com.
I’m not a fan of white chocolate, but it really works combined with the brownie and cream cheese. Delicious treat for sure!
Dang I hate them too. I was hoping you tried it without them so I could see how this turned out lol
I made it with gluten free flour and it still turned out amazing! Quick and easy instructions, it was devoured by my kids and myself in a record time. This recipe is added to my favs. Thanks for sharing!
Glad to share! Thank you for sharing what you did!
Love all of the recipes
Thanks so much! Glad you enjoy them! 🙂
These are a hit at our house. Everyone loves them. Making the brownies from scratch definitely improves the taste and doesn’t take much longer than a box mix. Had made these numerous times and they are delicious.
See More Comments