If you’re an Oreo enthusiast, you’ll LOVE these Cookies and Cream Cupcakes! This recipe consists of moist cupcakes with an Oreo bottom, and an Oreo frosting made with marshmallow fluff, cream, powdered sugar, and crushed Oreos. What’s not to love?!
Favorite Oreo Cupcakes
Hello again, Lil’ Luna readers! It’s Alicia from The Baker Upstairs and I am so excited to be back sharing these amazing cookies and cream cupcakes with you! My husband is a huge fan of Oreos, so I thought these cupcakes would be a fun surprise for him. Luckily, they are really simple to throw together, but they look and taste really impressive. They have an Oreo baked right into the bottom of the cupcake, and the frosting tastes just like cookies and cream ice cream! These Oreo cupcakes are a definite win!
I made these cookies and cream cupcakes using my very favorite vanilla cupcake recipe. It’s the one I use as a base for most of my cupcakes, and it always gives me flawless results! They turn out perfectly moist every time, and the vanilla flavor is so versatile, it can be easily dressed up, although it’s just as delicious plain. I’ve made it so many times now that I have the recipe memorized, and could probably make them in my sleep. 🙂
Tips for Making this Oreo Cupcake Recipe:
Cupcakes used to be something that I struggled with a lot (you should see some of my cupcake disasters from the past!), but I’ve learned some tricks of the trade to make perfect cupcakes every time.
- Fill the cups 2/3 full – The best way (in my experience) to get those perfectly domed tops is to only fill the cups 2/3 full at the most (sometimes I only fill them a little more than halfway).
- Use a toothpick to tell when they’re done baking – If you insert a toothpick to the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean, that means the cupcakes are done baking!
- Crush Oreos with a rolling pin – One of the easiest ways to make finely crushed Oreos is to put them in a ziploc bag, and use a rolling pin to firmly break them up and roll over the Oreos until they are finely crushed.
- Use a jumbo piping tip – To get beautifully swirled frosting on top, use a jumbo piping tip! Once I switched to the jumbo tips, my cupcakes started looking more like the ones from the bakery and less like my four year old had decorated them.
- Use leftover Oreos to garnish – If you have a few leftover Oreos, cut them into fourths (use a sharp knife and don’t saw, this will prevent them from crumbling!) and place on top of the frosted cupcakes. This little detail really makes them look like they came from a bakery!
The frosting is seriously the best part of these Oreo cupcakes! It tastes JUST like cookies and cream ice cream, I kid you not. The best part is, it’s SO simple to throw together. Here are the instructions:
- Beat together 3.5 ounces (1/2 of a 7 oz container) of marshmallow fluff and 1/2 cup of butter until it’s light and fluffy.
- Add 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla, plus 1-2 tablespoons of cream (you can add more or less cream to make the mixture smooth and easily pipe-able). Beat until light and fluffy.
- Mix in finely crushed oreos.
And that’s it! Just three easy steps. This frosting would work great for several other recipes, not just this one. You could even use it on top of a chocolate cake or white cake, no problem.
Between the Oreo baked into the bottom, and the Oreo frosting on top, these cupcakes are downright irresistible. My husband loved them, my kids loved them, everyone loved them! I think you will too!
For more cookies and cream recipes, check out:
- Cookies N Cream Fudge
- Cookies and Cream Popcorn
- No Bake Oreo Cheesecake
- Cookies and Cream Muddy Buddies
- Oreo Ice Cream Cake
Cookies And Cream Cupcakes Recipe
- 12 Oreos
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3.4 oz marshmallow fluff (1/2 of a 7 oz container)
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp cream
- 10 Oreos finely crushed, plus additional oreos for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350. Line 12 wells of a muffin tin with paper liners. Place an Oreo cookie in the bottom of each paper liner, and set aside.
In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, add the cake flour, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and whisk to combine. Mix in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a small bowl or measuring cup, and add half of the milk mixture to the batter. Mix until smooth, then add the other half of the milk mixture and mix until smooth.
Scoop into prepared muffin tin, filling ½-2/3 full. Bake 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when touched lightly and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool completely.
After the cupcakes have cooled, beat together the marshmallow fluff and butter until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla, and add enough cream to make a smooth, easily pipeable frosting. Beat until light and fluffy. Mix in the finely crushed Oreos. Pipe onto the cooled cupcakes (I used a jumbo round tip) and garnish with additional Oreos as desired.
I’m a HUGE fan of Cookie and Cream treats, so I’m SO excited to try this! Thank you, Alicia!
For more great recipes from her, be sure to head on over to The Baker Upstairs. 😉